Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

space

Posted by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 9:42 AM
  • 14 Replies
My son has been very interested in space lately, so I think I'll make this "space month"

My ideas:
- library books
-planetarium visit
- maybe a craft or two?

Have you done anything with space? Any suggestions?
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenn8604
by Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 9:44 AM
Watch all the Magic school Bus episodes dealing with space and stars :) Look through a telescope and find constellations.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

See if your local college does any stargazing events, or perhaps a local astronomy club.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Not yet, but after we finish Apologia anatomy, we already have astronomy ready to go.

What about letters to Nasa, buying space food, playing space games, make a model of a solar system, map out the distance to the sun using pennies to stand for like say 10 miles each or something?     Look up space themed websites.   Make one of those pin hole viewing box.   Find out what is going on in the real sky at different times... meteor showers...planets close enough to see... eclispes, etc.    Look up their birth year and see if anything exciting happened the year they were born....  use a flashlight to represent the sun and show how it shines on the earth and the other half is dark... discuss and demonstrate planetary rotation and such.   Do you have a space themed museum nearby?   

jen2150
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Physics of space. They coud learn the difference between matter and weight. My kids loved calculating their weight on different planets. You could make it into a science and math lesson. Albert einstein for kids is a great book. Look up recent experiments. There is a recent story how scientist got sound waves to go the speed of light. My son once did the moon phases using oreoes. Have fun!
kmath
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

We have been doing space for close to two months now.  DS got interested and we just keep finding things to watch and do.  I have a list of Youtube videos, books we have read, movies we have watched and experiments we have done.

Youtube:

Venus, Mercury  They have all of the planets in this series.  Just look up space school on Youtube

Books:

Magic Tree House: Midnight on the Moon and accompanying Resource book, Picturpedia: Space, The Near Planets, The Far Planets, Magic School Bus:Lost in the Solar System

VIdeos:

Magic School Bus: Gets Lost in Space, MSB: Out of this World, MSB: Sees Stars, How to Make a Planet (Science Channel)

Also, we got the Magic School Bus Space Kit for the experiments

Websites:

Nasa Kids Club, Kids Astronomy

We have had a blast with this.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Model of the solar system?

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

We made clay planets out of different colors of play-do, baked them and hung them as a mobile. We were using Considering God's Creation for science at the time and they had a lot of really good hands on activities for space, including a cool "projector" craft for viewing the stars using a shoebox and a flashlight.

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Stephen Hawking and his daughter Lucy have 3 children's books out, starting with George's Secret Key to the Universe.

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

An outdoor activity that measures the scale of the universe: http://www.noao.edu/education/peppercorn/pcmain.html

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)