Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

So what age is old enough to babysit in your opinion? (LOL Spin off so we don't take over a thread)

Posted by   + Show Post

In Ohio, there is no age limit. It is a gray area that states that a reasonable adult would assume it is okay to leave the child. AKA It's reasonable to leave an 8yo alone while you go grocery shopping but not reasonable to leave them home alone at midnight.

My oldest, 12, watches the younger kids for me when needed. She is also extremely reliable and mature armed with a cell phone and 2 very large dogs. We don't leave her at night except to walk around the block after dinner. If Rob and I go out and will be gone longer than 2 hours or if we'll be gone late, we call my mom to come over.

She has watched herself and the younger three since she was 10 (IF the baby was napping) while I ran down the street to the store for milk but never more than 20 minutes at a time.

What do you think?

by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Replies (21-26):
Iloveflorida2
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Teenager.
How the heck would a child protect him or herself from a random intruder?! It would be hard enough for an adult.
Also, has anyone seen Dateline or news type shows where the parent swears up and down their child is mature and has been trained and would absolutely never ever fall for a stranger's game of come with me (whatever it may be). And much to the horror and shock of the parent, the child goes along!!!

No way. No how. Would I ever fathom leaving my child at home! Way too many variables then my hour or two of alone time.
Precious333
by Silver Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:20 PM
We had our first teenage babysitters a few weeks ago, one my sister who is 14 and her friend also 14. My mom has not trained my sister to babysit alone (she isnt even allowed to cook at home). So, baby steps i guess.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:25 PM
I can see what you mean. I feel comfortable leaving the kids at home but they aren't allowed outside when I'm gone. When I am home I still make them play where I can see them.

Quoting Iloveflorida2:

Teenager.

How the heck would a child protect him or herself from a random intruder?! It would be hard enough for an adult.

Also, has anyone seen Dateline or news type shows where the parent swears up and down their child is mature and has been trained and would absolutely never ever fall for a stranger's game of come with me (whatever it may be). And much to the horror and shock of the parent, the child goes along!!!

No way. No how. Would I ever fathom leaving my child at home! Way too many variables then my hour or two of alone time.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:26 PM
Slowly but surely! Lol

Quoting Precious333:

We had our first teenage babysitters a few weeks ago, one my sister who is 14 and her friend also 14. My mom has not trained my sister to babysit alone (she isnt even allowed to cook at home). So, baby steps i guess.
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Nov. 2, 2013 at 3:16 PM
Mine are 10 and 11. They stayed home alone once, just last week! For 15 minutes, lol. I left and mil was coming, we just overlapped a bit. This week, DH and I are overlapping for just over an hour and we are really considering leaving the kids alone. I am sick of asking mil (and having her tell my kids something that bothers me) and I'd rather her not be home. It's the middle of the day, so if she comes home, she will be home the rest of the day. I'd rather let them be alone I think since it's just an hour and I am not too far away.

Neither of them would be in charge since they are only 11 months apart, lol. DD thinks she is in charge of the dog, but I nipped that too. No one is the boss unless they are a parent. (DD can be super bossy, and if the dog doesn't listen she will get handsy with him, lol...I'd rather just avoid that). So they are just in charge of themselves.

They are also often "alone" when I go to work and DH is sleeping (he works nights often). But dads right upstairs and a light sleeper, so really they are not alone.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I'm really not sure.  I've asked my oldest (8) if he wanted to stay home alone while we went grocery shopping, a trip that takes about an hour and a half.  He wasn't comfortable with the idea.  He has stayed home alone while I walked with the younger 2 to the creek.  When he is comfortable, I would definately allow it.  But my kids are so close in age, I cannot see me allowing more than 1 to stay home until their upper teen years (15, 16?).  They really don't have a hierarchy, no matter how much my oldest tries!  LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)