Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Encouraging a boy to read?

Posted by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 2:26 PM
  • 18 Replies

My DS is 8 he used to love to read until his grade 1 teacher told him that "most boys dont read" (think it was suppose to be a encouragment but ever since then its a pain to get him to read...but he is SO good at it...

I let him pick is own books but I want him to challange himself...any more ideas??

by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmath
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Find books about things that he is really interested in.  DS is obsessed with zombies, we found the Zombie Chasers series and he hasn't put them down.  Also, just read to him still.  I have the same problem with mine and it is hard, but just keep at it.

Connorsmommy13
by Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Quoting kmath:

Find books about things that he is really interested in.  DS is obsessed with zombies, we found the Zombie Chasers series and he hasn't put them down.  Also, just read to him still.  I have the same problem with mine and it is hard, but just keep at it.

thanks...should have said he is in grade 3 now...

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 1, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Quoting kmath:

I agree with this!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Thanks! I'm going to buy it today and see if Bubba likes it. I showed him the cover and he was pretty interested.

Quoting kmath:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

coala
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 3:43 PM

I say to just find books on topics he is interested in.   Keep it light and interesting and he will find the love of reading again.  It took me nearly a year to get my oldest to really enjoy it

My oldest...I have recently discovered likes mysteries.  I  have been picking them up like crazy.  I have also found that she LOVES books on animals...factual stuff.  She is absorbing this information like a sponge.  She also wants to read Horse Diaries (this is a 4th grade level series) and she is barely holding her own at a 2nd grade level.  She is on target for where she needs to be, but she desparetly wants to move forward with more challanging books. 

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I know someone who used to get books on CD at the library. Let her kid listen to them and then stopped about half way through. If they wanted to know how it ended, they had to read the rest. That worked with her reluctant reader.

I'm so sorry his teacher said that. I had someone, I don't even remember who, tell me "Girls don't like math" when I was in elementary school. I had loved math but from then on I didn't. I can't seem to overcome it.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, don't worry about him challenging himself. He'll get around to it as he matures. With my kids, I always pick out a few books that just sit in the library box. If they ask, I'll say, 'Oh, I thought they looked interesting' or 'We were just talking about that the other day and was reminded me of that.' They'll start picking them up.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 4:07 PM

To give my 8yo more confidence. I am paying him 12 bucks (we negotiated that) if he can read 20 books by Thanksgiving. He can choose the books but I have to approve them. They have to have at least 2 long sentences on each page and can't be under a level 2... Mommy is the judge. He is enjoying reading, and earning some cash (which is something I almost never offer).

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Jon Sciezka has a site, Guys Read (http://www.guysread.com/), that he put together for reluctant boy readers.  And honestly, there are a heck of a lot of guy writers out there that kids love to read, and you don't get to be a good writer by refusing to read.  Teachers have influence, but it's time to end hers.  My boys are all huge readers, and if they say they don't like to read, they sure as shootin' love to read with me.  I don't press them, but I have a house full of books.  Environment and atmosphere are very important.  Oh, and some awesome books:

Time Warp Trio
Charlie Smith books
100 Cupboards trilogy
Magic books
Nate the Great
Big Nate
Origami Yoda and the following books

I also think that if you hold them back to a reading level that they can manage but makes them feel like babies, you'll lose them.  So while I like things like Dragon Slayer's Academy, he may want to read more complicated text like 100 Cupboards.  Mix it up. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Do you think it is related to the teacher's comment?  I would probably get on here and have us ladies ask our sons to recommend books.  I'll start:  Xavier says that the Ralph S Mouse books are great and he is loving the Fudge books right now (Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, Double Fudge, and Superfudge).

Levi says he likes the Berenstain Bears and the Magic Treehouse Books.

That way you can "show" him that there are many boys out there that like to read too!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN