Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My DS is 8 he used to love to read until his grade 1 teacher told him that "most boys dont read" (think it was suppose to be a encouragment but ever since then its a pain to get him to read...but he is SO good at it...

I let him pick is own books but I want him to challange himself...any more ideas??

by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 2:26 PM
Replies (11-18):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Okay, bought the book and he doesn't like it :-/ The book is a little hard to read and the kids found it a bit tedious. Sigh...

Quoting paganbaby:

Thanks! I'm going to buy it today and see if Bubba likes it. I showed him the cover and he was pretty interested.

Quoting kmath:

Find books about things that he is really interested in.  DS is obsessed with zombies, we found the Zombie Chasers series and he hasn't put them down.  Also, just read to him still.  I have the same problem with mine and it is hard, but just keep at it.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Oh! I think I'll try Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Lots of pictures and not too much text. Wish me luckfingers crossed

tnt-manda
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 5:29 PM
My boys love Captain underpants and Diary of a wimpy kid, we sort of had the same issue...sometimes I think it's the format, a lot of words jumbled on paper can be overwhelming, captain underpants is more of a comic strip, pics between and my middle son loves the Diary of a wimpy kid format. Some books they read are easier for them some harder...I don't care so much as long as their reading. Me backing off has increased their own confidence so much.
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:45 PM
OK, I'm going to ruffle some feathers, perhaps. Not everyone loves reading. There, I said it. I've known some highly intelligent, articulate people who hate to read. My ds hates books. But he does read instructional text, gun reviews, minecraft stuff, things like that. But he hates literature. I've decided I'm ok with that. I don't love it, but I'm OK with it. My dd just recently picked up reading as hobby and she will be 13 this week. 6 months ago I couldn't PAY that girl to read. I think it boils down to maturity and personality.
ablessedlife
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 2:02 PM
I have four boys the eldest two love reading. The third is taking off now. I like to get library books on whatever we are studying in science or history and just have the books lying around. The boys will pick them up on their own and get engrossed in them. Right now it's the Middle Ages, so it's about barbarians and knights and castles. Before that it was the Roman Empire. There are such fascinating books out there!
Also, we don't have TV so they have more opportunities to read. They are used to it.
ablessedlife
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 2:05 PM
Quoting Leissaintexas:

OK, I'm going to ruffle some feathers, perhaps. Not everyone loves reading. There, I said it. I've known some highly intelligent, articulate people who hate to read. My ds hates books. But he does read instructional text, gun reviews, minecraft stuff, things like that. But he hates literature. I've decided I'm ok with that. I don't love it, but I'm OK with it. My dd just recently picked up reading as hobby and she will be 13 this week. 6 months ago I couldn't PAY that girl to read. I think it boils down to maturity and personality.

Yes. When I say my boys love to read, I mean they love to read about things they are interested in. It is a matter of finding interests or maybe the interests have not been developed yet. Interest needs to be sparked. Not interest in reading, though. Interest in SOMETHING.
autodidact
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Harry Potter

Roald Dahl

Walter Moers

Diary of a Wimpy Kid

Percy Jackson and the Olympians

Tintin 

kmath
by Silver Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 4:40 PM

That sucks!  DS loves that series.  He isn't big on reading but will read that one.  It does have some tough words in it, so I can understand. 

Quoting paganbaby:

Okay, bought the book and he doesn't like it :-/ The book is a little hard to read and the kids found it a bit tedious. Sigh...

Quoting paganbaby:

Thanks! I'm going to buy it today and see if Bubba likes it. I showed him the cover and he was pretty interested.

Quoting kmath:

Find books about things that he is really interested in.  DS is obsessed with zombies, we found the Zombie Chasers series and he hasn't put them down.  Also, just read to him still.  I have the same problem with mine and it is hard, but just keep at it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN