Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Native Americans

Posted by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 11:13 AM
  • 5 Replies
1 mom liked this
We're learning about native Americans for the month of November. My 7-year-old seems to be really into it. =]

We have lots of books, and we've been doing crafts, watching videos, and working on a lapbook about the Cherokee people. We also have some recipes for foods we'll be making to share at thanksgiving dinner. =]

Anyone have any cool resources to share?

Is anyone else working on Native Americans this month?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
tairakittie
by Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I really wanted to dabble in it this year, my two are 4 and 5. I need to go to the library and see what kind of books they have, so if anyone could recommend kinder level books about Native Americans, it would be greatly appreciated!! :) Also, any craft ideas are also welcome, and those recipes too. lol

romacox
by Silver Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Sometimes native Indians will hold authentic powwows .,  Check the internet to see if one will be held near you. 

QueenAtargatis
by Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:12 PM
I'm mobile, but when I can get on the computer I'll gladly share what I have. I'm sure I have some kinder appropriate stuff! =]

Quoting tairakittie:

I really wanted to dabble in it this year, my two are 4 and 5. I need to go to the library and see what kind of books they have, so if anyone could recommend kinder level books about Native Americans, it would be greatly appreciated!! :) Also, any craft ideas are also welcome, and those recipes too. lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
QueenAtargatis
by Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I have a cousin who goes to them regularly. Good idea - I'll see if she has any info, or if I can find some. =]

Quoting romacox:

Sometimes native Indians will hold authentic powwows .,  Check the internet to see if one will be held near you. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 4:54 PM

We learned quite a bit about them last year. There's a Native American historic center (state historic site) about five minutes from our house, and our kids do a summer day camp there each year, so much fun. They also host Native American Days every fall. One year they had these hoop dancers from Nebraska or S. Dakota or something - they were amazing. They also have demonstrations about flint, making a canoe, stuff like that. Maybe there is something like that within driving distance for you.

Also - just camping! Even though you are in a nylon tent (or even a cabin), building fire, hiking, just being outdoors, you can talk about a lot of things about the way Native Americans used to live.

We read a book about Squanto last year too, my kids enjoyed that a lot more than I did. It was from Sonlight's Core D, I think the name was Squanto Friend of the Pilgrims, something along those lines. 

Oh! And Sacagawea. We studied Lewis & Clark last year and she was the most interesting aspect of the journey for my girls. So brave and she saved their lives more than once! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)