Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I put more value on socializing than I do academics.

Posted by   + Show Post

As crazy as this sounds, for my son, socializing and life skills come well before academics. 

Just yesterday, we were sitting down getting ready to read a book when my youngest dd comes in saying the neighborhood kids are all outside. I immediately put down the book and we went outside to play. My son has a very hard time socially, so any chance I get for him to interact with kids in a comfortable environment, I'm going to take it,lol. The same goes for chores, shopping and meal preparation. Those come first before lessons. The way I look at it, all the reading and writing in the world isn't going to do him a fig of good if he can't strike up a conversation or cook himself a meal.

by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Replies (11-20):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Love it!

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Precious333
by Silver Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:25 PM
2 moms liked this
We are the same, at this age, play is so important, not only for developing social skills, but also for emotional health etc.
TidewaterClan
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Definitely one of the biggest perks. Plus we can make things meaningful. My 3 rd grader was working on the Engineering Process in science last week. She thought it was dry, so I took them to a museum with all kinds of cool homemade inventions. Then both of them were excited about the whole thing. :)

I hear you about art! It's gotten short changed lately but I need to add it in because they love it and it gives them a creative outlet. .

Quoting paganbaby:

Isn't that one of the draws of homeschooling?

And I so need to add more art. I keep meaning too but I just never get around to it. Maybe today. Bubba's been asking to paint.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Definitely not alone! I figure you only get so many opportunities for unscheduled fun, so grab each one if you can.

I'm thinking if the same thing for reading. We've done it several times before when we had appointments during the day. The girls don't mind at all, and it would let them have spare time or actually do some art or music.

Quoting paganbaby:

Nice! Good to see I'm not the only one :-)

Also I'm thinking of switching his reading to bedtime to free up more time during the day.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Yep, there's a super nice boy and his brother down the street. If they want to play I tell the girls to drop their lessons and get outside. We can always do their reading for our night time story.

We take breaks to do laundry, get dinner rolling, etc. nothing wrong with keeping it real! :)

jen2150
by Silver Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this
One of the first things I learned following my children's lead is socializing is academics. Academics is learned in a variety of ways. As far as art goes being prepared is the key. I have an art box set up that they use whatever they wished. Try mixing art with other subjects. You can do geography through art. My sons just created a cover for their folder. It was a great way to combine art and grammar. Have you tried any of the draw write now books. We would do it together and I wuld write any sentences that they asked me to write. Reading for example is one of the best ways to learn about writing.
jen2150
by Silver Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 2:15 PM
2 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Nov. 3, 2013 at 2:48 PM
3 moms liked this
This week I want to try to go deeper in some topics instead of just doing our regular stuff. I feel like they have definitely learned since being home, but I think they could learn so much more. I think I was just kind of stuck in the "school" mode...I let them work wherever and change things up, but I think I can do a better job of breaking things up and going more in depth.

I think "life skills" are much more valuable than just straight academics...street smarts or common sense is more useful than book smarts in most cases.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 7:39 PM

I try to allow for spontaneous fun, but if we have dropped lessons 2 or 3 days straight, I tend to reel the kids back in because while they only get to be a kid once, and I try to let them chase the butterflies, they need to be ready to be a grown up that can finish a job when they are older. It's hard to balance it all.

coala
by Silver Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Honestly, we take reading on the road with us a few days a week.  They read to and from the "fun" activities for those days.  We don't have any neighborhood kids that we know or play with....so their activities that I scheduled are what we do.  Tomorrow morning reading will be done in the car...maybe even some handwritting.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Yes, I cannot say I place a HIGHER priority on socialization and daily responsibilities, but I think it's more of an equal split.   It depends on each situation, child, and need that they each have.   Sometimes blowing off school "work" is a need in exchange for some downtime or to "chase those butterflies" as Mem put it.

However, there are times putting priority on responsibilities is important, too.

Quoting mem82:

I try to allow for spontaneous fun, but if we have dropped lessons 2 or 3 days straight, I tend to reel the kids back in because while they only get to be a kid once, and I try to let them chase the butterflies, they need to be ready to be a grown up that can finish a job when they are older. It's hard to balance it all.

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 10:24 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)