Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I put more value on socializing than I do academics.

Posted by   + Show Post

As crazy as this sounds, for my son, socializing and life skills come well before academics. 

Just yesterday, we were sitting down getting ready to read a book when my youngest dd comes in saying the neighborhood kids are all outside. I immediately put down the book and we went outside to play. My son has a very hard time socially, so any chance I get for him to interact with kids in a comfortable environment, I'm going to take it,lol. The same goes for chores, shopping and meal preparation. Those come first before lessons. The way I look at it, all the reading and writing in the world isn't going to do him a fig of good if he can't strike up a conversation or cook himself a meal.

by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Replies (21-30):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Nov. 3, 2013 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you..this thread has been bugging me a good part of the afternoon.

Life needs to be about balance. Maybe it's s because my kids are older, I see theings differently than OP.

There have been days we have skipped academics for life happening. Where play and friends and experience trumps book learning. These have made for memorable experiences and life lessons.

However, now my kids are older and I am training them to be responsible citizens, good employees and dedicated breadwinners for their families. They have responsibilities that come before play.

Quoting KrissyKC:Yes, I cannot say I place a HIGHER priority on socialization and daily responsibilities, but I think it's more of an equal split.   It depends on each situation, child, and need that they each have.   Sometimes blowing off school "work" is a need in exchange for some downtime or to "chase those butterflies" as Mem put it.However, there are times putting priority on responsibilities is important, too.
Quoting mem82:I try to allow for spontaneous fun, but if we have dropped lessons 2 or 3 days straight, I tend to reel the kids back in because while they only get to be a kid once, and I try to let them chase the butterflies, they need to be ready to be a grown up that can finish a job when they are older. It's hard to balance it all.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:10 PM

I've never heard of draw right now. I'll check that out, thanks :-)

Quoting jen2150:

One of the first things I learned following my children's lead is socializing is academics. Academics is learned in a variety of ways. As far as art goes being prepared is the key. I have an art box set up that they use whatever they wished. Try mixing art with other subjects. You can do geography through art. My sons just created a cover for their folder. It was a great way to combine art and grammar. Have you tried any of the draw write now books. We would do it together and I wuld write any sentences that they asked me to write. Reading for example is one of the best ways to learn about writing.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:13 PM

A little OT but I tried reading in the car today and I got so sick! It bummed me out; I used to always read in the car. Sigh...looks like I'm getting old,lol.

Quoting coala:

Honestly, we take reading on the road with us a few days a week.  They read to and from the "fun" activities for those days.  We don't have any neighborhood kids that we know or play with....so their activities that I scheduled are what we do.  Tomorrow morning reading will be done in the car...maybe even some handwritting.

SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I can't say I do this. I'm too type a and have to stick to my schedule. My kids do better on a schedule. But a little girl moved next door today so maybe I'll try to take it up!
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:21 PM

It's not so much that I'm a younger mom,lol. You see, my son isn't your typical child, he has mild autism. So for him, yes I do place a higher priority on social and life skills. 

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Thank you..this thread has been bugging me a good part of the afternoon.

Life needs to be about balance. Maybe it's s because my kids are older, I see theings differently than OP.

There have been days we have skipped academics for life happening. Where play and friends and experience trumps book learning. These have made for memorable experiences and life lessons.

However, now my kids are older and I am training them to be responsible citizens, good employees and dedicated breadwinners for their families. They have responsibilities that come before play.

Quoting KrissyKC:Yes, I cannot say I place a HIGHER priority on socialization and daily responsibilities, but I think it's more of an equal split.   It depends on each situation, child, and need that they each have.   Sometimes blowing off school "work" is a need in exchange for some downtime or to "chase those butterflies" as Mem put it.However, there are times putting priority on responsibilities is important, too.
Quoting mem82:I try to allow for spontaneous fun, but if we have dropped lessons 2 or 3 days straight, I tend to reel the kids back in because while they only get to be a kid once, and I try to let them chase the butterflies, they need to be ready to be a grown up that can finish a job when they are older. It's hard to balance it all.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:23 PM
1 mom liked this

It's hard letting go of my schedule,lol! But you should totally try it sometime ;-)

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

I can't say I do this. I'm too type a and have to stick to my schedule. My kids do better on a schedule. But a little girl moved next door today so maybe I'll try to take it up!

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Not a younger Mom, but a mom with younger kids.  We took a lot more "life happens" days when the kids were younger than what we do now.

Also, the autism wasn't stated in the original post. That would totally make a difference. Yes, I would even look at that as part of his education/schooling.

Quoting paganbaby:

It's not so much that I'm a younger mom,lol. You see, my son isn't your typical child, he has mild autism. So for him, yes I do place a higher priority on social and life skills. 

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

kajira
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:37 AM

That's sort of how I feel, I have him do independant work in the morning, but the rest is life skills, applying math to cooking, figuring out how to problem solve simple tasks, and helping do chores and run errands.

We live in a rural area and are trying to move, so I'm not as big on finding kids for him to play with like i did when we first moved here... once we move and are settled in, then we'll find more kids to play with that aren't just at the park or mcdonalds play place. hehe.

We let them play, but it's not always the same kids.

Edited : My oldest is special needs, and my youngest appears to be normal developing and I will place a higher expectation on her academics, because my son's bar will be different than hers or any other children we have. I'll be happy if he gets a GED and goes to community college and has enough skills to get a job and keep it...

I don't overwhelm him or set him up to fail, I try to be realistic about what he can do, and hold him accountable for what he CAN do and work on the skills he needs to function with other people and potentially even get a job as an adult.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this

That is it exactly for me.

Quoting kajira:

That's sort of how I feel, I have him do independant work in the morning, but the rest is life skills, applying math to cooking, figuring out how to problem solve simple tasks, and helping do chores and run errands.

We live in a rural area and are trying to move, so I'm not as big on finding kids for him to play with like i did when we first moved here... once we move and are settled in, then we'll find more kids to play with that aren't just at the park or mcdonalds play place. hehe.

We let them play, but it's not always the same kids.

Edited : My oldest is special needs, and my youngest appears to be normal developing and I will place a higher expectation on her academics, because my son's bar will be different than hers or any other children we have. I'll be happy if he gets a GED and goes to community college and has enough skills to get a job and keep it...

I don't overwhelm him or set him up to fail, I try to be realistic about what he can do, and hold him accountable for what he CAN do and work on the skills he needs to function with other people and potentially even get a job as an adult.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Ah, I see.

And yeah, sorry about that,lol. I didn't add it because I wanted to get opinions on this before special needs were added to the equation.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Not a younger Mom, but a mom with younger kids.  We took a lot more "life happens" days when the kids were younger than what we do now.

Also, the autism wasn't stated in the original post. That would totally make a difference. Yes, I would even look at that as part of his education/schooling.

Quoting paganbaby:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)