Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I put more value on socializing than I do academics.

Posted by   + Show Post

As crazy as this sounds, for my son, socializing and life skills come well before academics. 

Just yesterday, we were sitting down getting ready to read a book when my youngest dd comes in saying the neighborhood kids are all outside. I immediately put down the book and we went outside to play. My son has a very hard time socially, so any chance I get for him to interact with kids in a comfortable environment, I'm going to take it,lol. The same goes for chores, shopping and meal preparation. Those come first before lessons. The way I look at it, all the reading and writing in the world isn't going to do him a fig of good if he can't strike up a conversation or cook himself a meal.

by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Replies (31-36):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:27 PM

For my younger ones, yes learning to interact with others is a higher priority than lessons.  For my oldest (he's 8 and now heading into all 4th grade materials), no, lessons are more important.  He has a good grasp of interacting with others his own age and other age groups as well, so now it's time to buckle down in his education.

My middle is still very held back in social situations and my youngest is very hyperactive in social situations, so we still have a lot to practice.  Once they have a better feel for how they should act, then lessons will take over tht top spot.

coala
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I can't read in the car unless it is on a device like a Kindle.  I can't however play games in the care like candy crush...that just makes me sick.  LOL

Quoting paganbaby:

A little OT but I tried reading in the car today and I got so sick! It bummed me out; I used to always read in the car. Sigh...looks like I'm getting old,lol.

Quoting coala:

Honestly, we take reading on the road with us a few days a week.  They read to and from the "fun" activities for those days.  We don't have any neighborhood kids that we know or play with....so their activities that I scheduled are what we do.  Tomorrow morning reading will be done in the car...maybe even some handwritting.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this

You know, now that you say something, I have read a kindle in the car and didn't have an issue. I wonder why that is? And candy crush,lol more like my candy crack!

Quoting coala:

I can't read in the car unless it is on a device like a Kindle.  I can't however play games in the care like candy crush...that just makes me sick.  LOL

Quoting paganbaby:

A little OT but I tried reading in the car today and I got so sick! It bummed me out; I used to always read in the car. Sigh...looks like I'm getting old,lol.

Quoting coala:

Honestly, we take reading on the road with us a few days a week.  They read to and from the "fun" activities for those days.  We don't have any neighborhood kids that we know or play with....so their activities that I scheduled are what we do.  Tomorrow morning reading will be done in the car...maybe even some handwritting.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this

That sounds about right. H

Quoting bluerooffarm:

For my younger ones, yes learning to interact with others is a higher priority than lessons.  For my oldest (he's 8 and now heading into all 4th grade materials), no, lessons are more important.  He has a good grasp of interacting with others his own age and other age groups as well, so now it's time to buckle down in his education.

My middle is still very held back in social situations and my youngest is very hyperactive in social situations, so we still have a lot to practice.  Once they have a better feel for how they should act, then lessons will take over tht top spot.

celticdragon77
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 8:29 AM

hmm. I never really thought about valuing one more than another.

...but yeah, homeschooling can be really flexible for allowing for switch ups like that.  

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:19 AM

For my girls it was never really an issue. Both of them make friends very easily. My son on the other hand need A LOT of work in that area. But yes, that's a bog thing I love about HSing.

Quoting celticdragon77:

hmm. I never really thought about valuing one more than another.

...but yeah, homeschooling can be really flexible for allowing for switch ups like that.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)