Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Need advice to change things up...

Posted by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 2:56 PM
  • 7 Replies
I think we are in a rut already. So I'm looking for ideas or advice, anything is welcome!

I plan their curriculum on my own, they are in 5th and 6th grades, but more like a late 4th grader and early 7th grader. I do the major subjects every day, then history/science each twice a week, art/music each once a week.

I think I want to do math/spelling every morning, then they read independently each night...then I want to spend the days doing more in depth science, history, art, and music.

We started doing cake decorating with our neighbors and the mom sent me some links she found when the girl had issues with a cupcake recipe, so I think this week we will do some looking at the science behind baking and do some actual baking from scratch (I'm quick to grab a box of cake mix and call it a day..). They are also in an engineering class for co op, so I think I would like to build off of that and go more in depth on the topics they are doing there.

DH also thinks I need to move quicker in history, I've been doing Story of the World vol 1, but I want to get past the ancients and move on, they are really kind of bored with it and I'm not sure they are retaining much..,but at the same time I kind of want to stick to doing it in some kind of order. AND I am not a history person at all, so I really don't know any more than they do and I'm learning right along with them.

Also, I work outside the home so I am gone M/Th 11-7ish and T/F 2-7ish..I usually have Wednesdays off and we have co op every other week and DD has dance every week on Wed afternoons. So I can do stuff with them, but then I leave so I'd like to have something independent for them especially on the days I leave earlier.

Any ideas? Do you do something like this where you go more in depth instead of hitting every subject every day?
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 7:33 PM

We like to really dig in. Could you maybe combine history with art and music?

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Like study a composer or artist from the time period you are working on? I don't think skipping ahead is a bad idea, either. It doesn't matter how hard you hit a subject if the kids get completely bored. You can come back. Maybe do a quarter of the Renaissance and then finish Ancient.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Nov. 4, 2013 at 8:27 AM

That's a good idea.  We haven't been able to do that since ancients doesn't have any composers or artists yet.  But we have been doing an artist a week, and they add that to their history timeline. 

I may skip ahead and come back.  I know they will hit it all again in high school too so I am not too worried.  I also think it comes up with other stuff and we will go back and hit it.

I wish I didn't have to work, I feel like we could get so much more done if I didn't have to leave!

Quoting mem82:

Like study a composer or artist from the time period you are working on? I don't think skipping ahead is a bad idea, either. It doesn't matter how hard you hit a subject if the kids get completely bored. You can come back. Maybe do a quarter of the Renaissance and then finish Ancient.

romacox
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 8:28 AM

I came across this interesting and informative article that might be of help to you.  This home school mom was also home schooled by her mom.  

The Lazy Girl's Guite To Home Education.

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I think you have a great plan!

Liebschin
by Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a history degree and there were a lot of artists/sculptors in the ancient world.  If you'd like me to help, just pm me and tell me what era/area you're studying and I'll see what I can dig up for you :)

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this

When we were doing ancients we made paint (clay and berry juice) and did "cave paintings" on paper grocery bags.  And we made some of the early instruments....reed pipes, drums, etc.  Then practiced rhythm by beating on the drums to different cadences.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

That's a good idea.  We haven't been able to do that since ancients doesn't have any composers or artists yet.  But we have been doing an artist a week, and they add that to their history timeline. 

I may skip ahead and come back.  I know they will hit it all again in high school too so I am not too worried.  I also think it comes up with other stuff and we will go back and hit it.

I wish I didn't have to work, I feel like we could get so much more done if I didn't have to leave!

Quoting mem82:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN