Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

So what does discipline look like in your house?

Posted by   + Show Post

Obviously, we all have different ideas on what discipline is and also, we all have DIFFERENT kids. Different things, work on different kids. My oldest, I've rarely had to punish ever simply because shaking my head and stating that I am disappointed in her choices is enough to put her back on the straight and narrow 99% of the time. My boys, they could careless how disappointed I am if it's a good time. LOL They need more hardcore punishments including corner standing and electronics removal. I've done other things more connected to the crime when needed.

What do you do when it comes to discipline?

Also, let's not turn this into a spanking debate. Let's focus on the other ways we discipline a child or teen, please.

by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:33 PM
Replies (21-30):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

It's great that you have a special insight into his behavior. I think that really can be the secret to dealing with some kids.

Quoting Mandallyn:

I speak to my kids.  My oldest can almost always be disciplined meerly by having a conversation.  My middle son is  highly emotional, so we deal with each unique moment as they come.  Sometimes he can calm down enough on his own that we can have a conversation and he'll listen.  Other times he'll have to go to his room because he can't get himself under control.  As tormented as I was as a child being highly emotional around family that had no idea how to handle me, I am thankful for it because I now know a few tricks that would have helped me as a child that can help him.  My third son is just a toddler (going through his terrible twos early) so discipline is pretty easy.  And the older boys love helping me redirect him and making him feel better whe he doesn't get his way.

kajira
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:16 PM

For my toddler, when she was younger, redirect, redirect, redirect. Now that she's older, I use logic and the threat of atime out and count to three. What's funny is she's 3 in a couple weeks and she's never had to HAVE a time out, the threat of one has worked for her. LOL

With my older kiddo, redirection never worked, I'm not big on corporal punishments, and he hates the concept of time outs, but even those didn't phase him, he's special needs, so most of his behavior has a root cause, I try to figure out the root cause... and believe more in natural consequences.

For example, he's gluten-free for a reason, he stole one of his dad's candy bars that had gluten in it and was puking sick for 2 days. I didn't baby him and I didn't have any sympathy for him. He knows stealing is wrong, and because he stole something with out reading the label, he got naturally punished for it. 

I'm a big believer on gentler techniques in most situations, but there have been times where I'd consider something extreme if the situation warrented it. 

I usually just take the situation one thing at a time. It makes it easier then trying to come up with all this set ideas on stuff.

I have no problem taking legos away, or not allowing the use of TV or computer for bad behavior. I'm a big believer in "if you want something, earn it. It's a privilage, not a right." 

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:44 PM
2 moms liked this

We peaceful parent This website is a good place to learn about it. http://www.ahaparenting.com/parenting-tools/discipline

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Discipline in our house means "instruction on how to live your life with a certain set of rules and morals."  We have 2 rules.  1) Respect another's person and property. 2) Do what you are contracted to do.

Typically our contracts have "punishments" or loss of privileges listed on them.  Other than the listed "punishments" they also know that I allow consequences to their actions to fall on them (heavily, LOL). 

Exxample: All my boys must wash their plates after each meal.  They do not get any food until the dishes are washed.  One evening my oldest chose not to wash his plat after supper.  He set it in the sink and went on his way.  My only response to his choice was that it wasn't going to end well, but he had things to do.  The next morning he sat down for Grace and then stood at the sink scraping and scrubbing his dish.  He was late getting breakfast, so he was late getting finished, late getting started on his school lessons.  His lessons took until after lunch, so he got less play time.  Afterward he told me that I was right, it had ended badly!

Most of our discipline these days is self-inflicted.  When they are upset, having a hard time with what they are doing, etc.  They put themselves in "time-out."  We call it Barbados.  It is a stool and cushion.  They can sit on it until they are able to get back to what they were doing.  I've seen my middle boy get frazzled while playing a video game.  In the past, he would have started taking it out on everyone around him, sometimes even hitting his brothers as though it were their fault.  But now, he walks to the stool and sits in half-lotus and breathes like a Dragon until he is calm.  Then he goes right back to what he is doing.  It is really awesome to see how they have taken to removing themselves from the situations they used to embrace...sigh! 

AnnieGoolaheey
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:45 PM

AnnieGoolaheey
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Seriously though. I am kidding.  We go unplugged (no computer, video games, TV, telephone) 

Quoting AnnieGoolaheey:

)0(
mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I can't see the picture but I think it's funny how many of us unplug as punishment. LOL

Quoting AnnieGoolaheey:

Seriously though. I am kidding.  We go unplugged (no computer, video games, TV, telephone) 

Quoting AnnieGoolaheey:

KimmyPoo
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:49 PM
I am old school, so I will bust their Butt if I need to..
AnnieGoolaheey
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:50 PM

It's a teenager adult ducked taped to the wall.  

Quoting mem82:

I can't see the picture but I think it's funny how many of us unplug as punishment. LOL

Quoting AnnieGoolaheey:

Quoting AnnieGoolaheey:

)0(
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Nov. 4, 2013 at 3:50 PM
LMAO... I got "kidnapped" in high school by my Police Explorers. They set it up with my parents but I had no clue. They threw confetti ALL OVER my room. OMG...

Well we found confetti everywhere in the house for years and years! My room was at the far west end and we found confetti in the kitchen on the east end. When we moved out about 15 years later we still found confetti under furniture and in cabinets!

Quoting mem82:*faints thinking about the glitter being tossed in theki tchen *

Quoting jen2150: When they decided to throw glitter at each other in the kitchen. They had to sweep and mop every floor in the house.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN