Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How is Math going with y our kiddos?

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 8:55 AM
  • 30 Replies
Where are you at and how is itg oing?
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 8:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Great! We *love* Miquon. He's doing the orange book right now, with plenty of unstructured Rod play time as well.

ATM, my 4 year old and I are learning the rods and their numbers, working on how to make numbers from other numbers (for example: 4= four 1's, 4= 2 and 2, 4= 3 and 1, etc), and we'll work on "two more/two less" this week as well.

For our math memory work we've mastered counting by 2's to 20; we're now going to work on counting by 5's to 50 and by 10's to 100.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 9:47 AM
I've never heard of Miquon. It sounds neat. Congrats on the learning going smoothly.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Great! We *love* Miquon. He's doing the orange book right now, with plenty of unstructured Rod play time as well.

ATM, my 4 year old and I are learning the rods and their numbers, working on how to make numbers from other numbers (for example: 4= four 1's, 4= 2 and 2, 4= 3 and 1, etc), and we'll work on "two more/two less" this week as well.

For our math memory work we've mastered counting by 2's to 20; we're now going to work on counting by 5's to 50 and by 10's to 100.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 4, 2013 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Our math block starts in January, but I have been doing review and adding bits here and there. She has her addition and subtraction down, including large numbers. We are working on multiplication and division through stories, rhymes, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:06 AM
2 moms liked this

Math is awesome.   My kids are all now using Math U See (except the baby).   I found a primer DVD at a resale shop for $6.00 and we are following it up with whiteboard math and manipulatives for a few minutes.   She is responding well already in two lessons.

The older two (11 and 9) are extremely pleased with it as well.   They love it compared to other maths we've tried. 

We also have a few workbooks that are a few years ahead of each of them and we give challenge problems and do whiteboard math together just for fun maybe 1-3 times a week.   They really like it too because we are using algebra, logic problems, advanced story problems, analogies, etc..

jen2150
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this
We are doing great. Found exactly what works for us. Found some great ways to combine art and math. Excited to start our math journal.
PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Doing good, halfway through our texts books :)

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Math is going well. We have found something that clicks with each kid.

My oldest is doing MUS Algebra 2. It is definitely challenging him this year. I've had to go through and relearn some of it to help him. I'm dreading next year since Alg2 is as high as I ever went. EEK!

Middle Ds is doing Teaching textbooks pre-Algebra. he is doing well with it.

DD is doing MUS Epsilon, fractions. It's interesting...she picked up on some of it almost naturally, and yet it seems other times the same thing stumos her. Not too sure why but we are sticking with it.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this

well, it's going. I started out the year with a singapore method textbook at half a grade level lower than ds is at. But I quickly figured out that what is in the second half of a year of a math textbook is all of the stuff that isn't that important in case the school doesn't finish it (which they never do). So, while it was good, it was all things that ds didn't need review on like time, measuring, metrics, graphs, money... he really needed to be re-taught the basics!

So, I ordered MathUSee Alpha. He is in 4th grade, but I think he really needed to start there. I think we'll be done Alpha in about 2 weeks, which means he'll have gone through it in a month and a half. Then I already have beta and gamma. My hope is Beta will go pretty fast too and we can start Gamma before the school year ends. But, much to his dismay, we may need to work on math all summer and not take a break!

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Ugh. I don't wanna talk about it. Some days good, other days not. Mostly because she's making silly mistakes and taking WAAAAY too long to do the exercises.

Today was not one of our good days.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Well with my 4 year old I guess it is going well though I am making it up and pretty sure I am all wrong he can count to 50 straight. He can count down from 10 and he is counting to 14 by 2's with a little addition that is simple and mostly with counters thrown in.

My 6 year old is doing 1st grade through k12 and it is way to easy and we are having to test out of each lesson but she does it well.

My 7 year old uses teaching textbooks 3rd grade. And she does well and passes it fairly easy but she is learning about lines and angles which she did not know before starting. Other than that it has been to easy. I think next year we are going to go up to 5th grade math.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)