Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New to group...thinking about homeschooling

Posted by   + Show Post

Good morning everyone!

I have a 7 year old son and 4 year old daughter. My son is currently enrolled in public school and in 2nd grade. My daughter is in preschool 2 days a week for 3 hours each day. Come September, my daughter is set to start Kindergarten. Ever since my son was off to school I have not felt right about the decision....If that makes sense. To me, it doesn't feel OK to have him gone from me all day like that. I am worried constantly about what he is being taught and subjected to when not in my care. Also, about how he is being treated and how well he is being watched. The thought of having to go through this all, times 2, come September just has me thinking of other options.

I have always loved the thought of homeschooling. I like that I can teach my child on their level and not by an SOL standard. I like that I can teach more through experience and play. The freedom to do more day trips for learning at museums and such. All of those things excite me about homeschooling. I know it may also be a challange as well. Having to make sure my children realize that school time is school time while being home. I was thinking I could set up a designated school area in our home so they are not tempted by other things.

I am sure you are thinking, what is your question? lol. I am sorry if I am all over the place, but I am kind of thinking it all out as I go. I guess what I am here looking for is support...or your thoughts/ideas on homeschooling. How does it work for you and your family? What resources do you use? How much time a day is set aside as school time? Do your children do any enrichment programs at local facilities/churches? I like the idea of being part of a group where the children can get out and play, learn, socialize with other kids. I am not opposed to the kids doing some sort of enrichment program once or twice a week.

The main reason I never did homeschooling before is because I do not get the support with family. Nobody in my family has ever done homeschooling. I have a large family and they all think I am "crazy" for even thinking on it.

Thanks for your time!

by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 9:10 AM
Replies (11-12):
SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:03 PM

What does your husband think? The rest of the family can go kick rocks. They don't live with you. But if your DH doesn't support you, then you'll be facing an uphill climb.

LukesMommy836
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:41 PM

My DH is supportive to what I choose to do. He has some mild concerns about how the kids will do socially and accademically. But I think he could get past those just doing a little research and seeing that kids do very well at homeschooling! We have just begun to really talk through it all. I think over the next few months we will continue to gather information and see if this is 100% what we want to do for our family. DH has said he is willing to give it a try! So we shall see. I will keep everyone posted! simple smile

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)