Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Considering home schooling....question!

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:20 AM
  • 12 Replies

Does anyone use time4learning.com?

does anyone have any other recommendations for great homeschool sites to help get me started?

any homeschoolers from Illinois here?

do you find that making your own lessons/curriculum is easier or harder than using an online site?

what is a typical day/week for you like? Do you do school 5 days a week? How many hours? Each subjec every day? Do you meet with homeschool groups?

sry for all the questions...nervous & excited at the same time :)

by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Welcome!

I know several people who use T4L. What grade is your child?

Jensep
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:34 AM

He is 4. I was planning on starting th kindergarten curriculum in January though. He is very advanced, and even many lessons I tried for the kindergarten would be to easy for him. What would you recommend...go at his own pace? Move forward as fast /slow as he wants? Or should I not start kindergarten curriculum until next fall, when he would be starting kindergarten?

Quoting mem82:

Welcome!

Jensep
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:55 AM

BUMP!

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:56 AM
I have only played with free trials from time for learning.

My 4 and 1/2 year old has been doing kindergarten since August. If you feel he is ready then try it. If he is showing interest, my sin wanted to be able to read, then he is probably ready.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I feel like you should start him where ever he is at academically. You can always, always, stop and go back. At his age, I would focus more on hands on learning and educational games than book work. If he wants to sit down and do 6 pages of math or whatever, let him. If maybe he's not feeling it today, just do a basic thing. No need to push at four.

My biggest suggestion is that you set up a morning routine and a morning board. As he gets older, having that morning routine, that *start* of the day, will help you transition into more sit down work instead of abruptly going from watching tv (or whatever) to reciting spelling words.

Quoting Jensep:

He is 4. I was planning on starting th kindergarten curriculum in January though. He is very advanced, and even many lessons I tried for the kindergarten would be to easy for him. What would you recommend...go at his own pace? Move forward as fast /slow as he wants? Or should I not start kindergarten curriculum until next fall, when he would be starting kindergarten?

Quoting mem82:

Welcome!

Jensep
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Where do you get your lessons from? What curriculum do you use? My son has a love for learning, always wants to be doing some kind of "homework"'as he calls it :)

Quoting debramommyof4:

I have only played with free trials from time for learning.

My 4 and 1/2 year old has been doing kindergarten since August. If you feel he is ready then try it. If he is showing interest, my sin wanted to be able to read, then he is probably ready.

Jensep
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Thanks, this is helpful! What is a morning board?

Quoting mem82:

I feel like you should start him where ever he is at academically. You can always, always, stop and go back. At his age, I would focus more on hands on learning and educational games than book work. If he wants to sit down and do 6 pages of math or whatever, let him. If maybe he's not feeling it today, just do a basic thing. No need to push at four.

My biggest suggestion is that you set up a morning routine and a morning board. As he gets older, having that morning routine, that *start* of the day, will help you transition into more sit down work instead of abruptly going from watching tv (or whatever) to reciting spelling words.

Quoting Jensep:

Quoting mem82:

Welcome!

Dorra
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Starfall.com has been awesome for us. My two oldest (1st and k) have been using it for 2 years now.
I also love T4L. It had been very helpful. If you sign up you can print off as many pages as you need.

Abc mouse I don't think us all that great and I cancelled it.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Think of it like a morning meeting or circle time. Usually, at 4, it would have a calender, maybe a weather graph (kids love those), a letter of the week or if you are past that, a word family to memorize (at, pat, sat, cat), maybe a pattern you add to each day, a morning prayer, the Pledge, basically anything you want to focus on that might not have a place elsewhere in the day. I worked with my kids on their address and phone number, too. 911, even Spanish or Latin flashcards. If you Pinterest, you can get some great ideas from there.

Quoting Jensep:

Thanks, this is helpful! What is a morning board?

Quoting mem82:

Quoting Jensep:

Quoting mem82:

Welcome!

TeriSkis
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 12:03 PM

We have used it. I think it may be perfect for a K child who is advanced in some areas. If a subject is too easy, you can advance the child to the next grade in that one area (or as many as you like), if you choose. In the same sense, if a child has trouble in one area and needs to repeat a grade in just one subject, they can do that as well. This is what I like best about it. My son started T4L in 4th grade. He likes that the Math Language Arts lessons are fun. You may be able to do a Google search to find a free trial also. They do that often.

Learning.com has so many types of quality curriculum for free (and very cheap). This is our main curriculum source.

asperger-kids.org
don't forget the dash!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)