Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Out of topic - but need your tips please

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:09 PM
  • 12 Replies

I am from different country where English is second language. Have masters degree from my country. But my English is poor in writing and less vocabulary.

Recently in get-together or teaching my daughter i feel shame not knowing proper English.

How can i improve my English. I know i ask lots of question in this group, there is no other place for me. Thank you all for your answers.

by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:16 PM
2 moms liked this

We love questions in this group. 8)

Maybe it would help if your ordered some cheap elementary workbooks that work on the basics and fill them out? Also, just by reading in English and being on sites like CafeMom will really help. Honestly, English is probably one harder languages for someone to learn simply because all of our grammar and speech rules aren't very firm.

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Read children books to yourself & then work your way up to harder reading levels & like Mem said the Englishworkbooks could help you out! If you have difficulty speaking it watching American or British television can help with that too!

SusanTheWriter
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Children's reading shows on PBS like "Between the Lions," "The Electric Company," "Word World," and "Word Girl" are very good for helping with not only grammar and syntax, but also pronunciation.

My mother is from Central America and she used to watch PBS with me when I was little. :)

AnnaBright
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Where are you from? Some languages are easier to easier to translate than others to English. If you watch tv subtitles might help you to reinforce what you are hearing to seeing it.
Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this

See if you can find a conversational english group in your area. A lot of colleges and universities start groups like this up for foreign students who want to improve their english and/or their accent. 

Knightquester
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this

It depends I think on where you live, but where I live there are some really affordable ESL classes for adults who have immigrated here and are looking to enhance their English skills.  Maybe see if there are vocational schools and adult education centers near you, or even the local community college that might have affordable classes you might be able to work into your schedule.

TidewaterClan
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 3:11 PM
Those are all wonderful ideas. I don't have anything to add that hasn't been said but wish you the best of luck!
julesjerry
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Thank you all.

I can understand perfectly when i here American talking to me directly. Even news i can understand. Problem is when i reply or talk to someone i am lack of words or grammar mistake. Also when i write i just type how i talk. I think writing is different than talking.

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 4, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Just doing it can make you better at it. Have conversations in English as much as possible & you will soon find yourself getting better at it!

Quoting julesjerry:

Thank you all.

I can understand perfectly when i here American talking to me directly. Even news i can understand. Problem is when i reply or talk to someone i am lack of words or grammar mistake. Also when i write i just type how i talk. I think writing is different than talking.

julesjerry
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Started reading my daughters story book. Thank you Ladies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN