Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

PSA- I missed the deadline.

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:18 PM
  • 5 Replies

Now what? Long story short, my daughter was with an independent study in the start of the year, 2 weeks ago wanted to go to public school and now she wants out. I am trying to figure out what do now.

by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:45 PM

It's really up to you. What grade is she in? Why does she want to come back? How is she really doing academically at ps?

I think there are pros and cons to either choice you make, whether you bring her home immediately or make her stick it out.

If you make her stay, she'll learn that she can't just do things on a whim. That sometimes, you don't have the option of changing your mind so you'd better think through your choices carefully. That not everything that looked sparkly from the other side is as awesome as we thought, but - suck it up, buttercup.

It takes time to settle into something new and I don't think 2 weeks is long enough to get fully settled. She may not have made friends yet, but it's early days. She may even have some behavioural quirks that make her stand out. Well, part of getting along in society is learning where and when it's okay to fly our nerd flag high, and when to pack it up and be professional. (I don't know your dd at all, so none of this may apply. I'm just spitballing, here.)

If she is developmentally or academically either extremely regressed or extremely accelerated, I would consider those good reasons for switching back. If she was in serious mental/psychological distress - panic attacks, spiraling depression - those are good reasons to come back home.

But just because it's not living up to her glittery fantasy?

Tough nuggets. She can stick until at least Christmas before moving back.

But then, 1) I would never have put her back in mid-semester, and 2) I'm super pragmatic and not easily swayed without a preponderance of logic and evidence.

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:50 PM

What state are you in? Are you wanting to pull her out to homeschool?

krysta.cole
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:57 PM

She's in 2nd grade. Type 1 Diabetic. It's a challenge everyday but she wanted to go back and has been asking since august. I am hoping she will change her mind and stick with it until summer and then we can start over.

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

It's really up to you. What grade is she in? Why does she want to come back? How is she really doing academically at ps?

I think there are pros and cons to either choice you make, whether you bring her home immediately or make her stick it out.

If you make her stay, she'll learn that she can't just do things on a whim. That sometimes, you don't have the option of changing your mind so you'd better think through your choices carefully. That not everything that looked sparkly from the other side is as awesome as we thought, but - suck it up, buttercup.

It takes time to settle into something new and I don't think 2 weeks is long enough to get fully settled. She may not have made friends yet, but it's early days. She may even have some behavioural quirks that make her stand out. Well, part of getting along in society is learning where and when it's okay to fly our nerd flag high, and when to pack it up and be professional. (I don't know your dd at all, so none of this may apply. I'm just spitballing, here.)

If she is developmentally or academically either extremely regressed or extremely accelerated, I would consider those good reasons for switching back. If she was in serious mental/psychological distress - panic attacks, spiraling depression - those are good reasons to come back home.

But just because it's not living up to her glittery fantasy?

Tough nuggets. She can stick until at least Christmas before moving back.

But then, 1) I would never have put her back in mid-semester, and 2) I'm super pragmatic and not easily swayed without a preponderance of logic and evidence.

krysta.cole
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:58 PM

We are in CA. Yes I want to homeschool her again but without the help of a charter or umbrella school but I didn't know if I could this year since we missed the filing date.

Quoting usmom3:

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 2:16 AM
If you pull her out in CA, you can file now up until I believe it is April.

Quoting krysta.cole:

We are in CA. Yes I want to homeschool her again but without the help of a charter or umbrella school but I didn't know if I could this year since we missed the filing date.

Quoting usmom3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)