Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

had my first conversation with someone who "doesn't believe in homeschooling"

Posted by   + Show Post

I was at an evening activity for ds - fencing classes. Another dad started talking to me. Of course I can't keep my mouth shut or just lie when he asks which school my ds goes to. So, had to explain homeschooling. He was polite, but kept dropping how he didn't believe in homeschooling and he'd be so worried about the socialization piece. Of course, once I mention that I have a MEd and taught in public, it's as if all was right with the world again in his little mind and clearly I'm the only competent exception to the crazy homeschooler rule. LOL!

by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 7:05 PM
Replies (11-20):
usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 5, 2013 at 3:44 PM
4 moms liked this

OP, ignore this one she is not a member & just trying to start trouble!

Quoting paknari:

I think it's funny how you are the first one to ridicule another's opinion when you are offended because they don't like your opinion. Lol guess you are just as bad.

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 4:34 PM
2 moms liked this

especially since I wasn't offended and didn't think I did anything to ridicule him while I was talking to him - especially since my dd and his dd go to the same public school he was talking about @@

Quoting usmom3:

OP, ignore this one she is not a member & just trying to start trouble!

Quoting paknari:

I think it's funny how you are the first one to ridicule another's opinion when you are offended because they don't like your opinion. Lol guess you are just as bad.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 6:07 PM
I'm pretty sure my kids are over socialized. Lol
letstalk747
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 8:40 PM
1 mom liked this

i have  not as of yet got anyone being like this when i mention i homeschool , but if i do and i want to shut them up im saying  i have a MEd

bmw29
by Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 8:45 PM
The only person besides my 94 year old grandmother in law that's ever said anything negative was my niece's boyfriend. His opinion means jack squat to me because he can barely spell his own name.
HarrisonMD
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Ironically, I don't get "socializing" issue brought up too much, what I get is, "Oh I can't do that, I'm not qualified for that!" or "You didn't finish college? Then how are you teaching your kids?" Really, people? lol

monkeybunns
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 4:23 PM

LOL-I used to be one of those people.  Once ANYONE starts looking in to homeschooling they will see that it's a total myth about socialization however our best thing we've used to demonstrate is to simply ask "If you know a homeschooler that was "weird" or had "weird" kids what were the parents like?  There are socially awkward people both in homeschooling and public school but it's not the norm."  Usually that really opens their eyes and they stop worrying about our kids.  We've mostly just had to deal with family in that but we've had a lot of "I couldn't possibly be around my kids that much" type of comments.

MommeisQueen
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 5:32 PM
1 mom liked this

That's funny. I can hear the comments now from my in-laws who apparently do not believe in Autism because "they didn't have that in my day". SMH. I could only respond, "well they didn't have HD tv's or smart phones in the 1800's either but I don't see you shouting about not believing in any of those things.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 7, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Just curious here, but where do you think the OP was disciplining any way?
IF any ridiculing was going on it would be coming from the make acquaintance OP was speaking to. He was the one who was ridiculing homebuilders in general from his mistaken beliefs of homeschoolers not being socialized enough. OP was just commenting in her own group as was her make acquaintance was doing.

Quoting paknari:

undefined

paknari
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 3:14 PM
Not believing in something doesn't make his opinion wrong. Do I agree with him? No. However, saying that shouldn't get someone's panties I. A twist. I do t believe I. Spanning but I don't get all mad when someone decided to discipline their own children that way. Honestly it sounds like the OP feels so insecure about her choices that she has to laugh at others for disagreeing. I have friends who homeschool and those who don't. None of then are bothered in the least bit by a person having a differing opinion.

Quoting kirbymom:

Just curious here, but where do you think the OP was disciplining any way?

IF any ridiculing was going on it would be coming from the make acquaintance OP was speaking to. He was the one who was ridiculing homebuilders in general from his mistaken beliefs of homeschoolers not being socialized enough. OP was just commenting in her own group as was her make acquaintance was doing.

Quoting paknari:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)