Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

had my first conversation with someone who "doesn't believe in homeschooling"

Posted by   + Show Post

I was at an evening activity for ds - fencing classes. Another dad started talking to me. Of course I can't keep my mouth shut or just lie when he asks which school my ds goes to. So, had to explain homeschooling. He was polite, but kept dropping how he didn't believe in homeschooling and he'd be so worried about the socialization piece. Of course, once I mention that I have a MEd and taught in public, it's as if all was right with the world again in his little mind and clearly I'm the only competent exception to the crazy homeschooler rule. LOL!

by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 7:05 PM
Replies (21-22):
posh417
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 3:25 PM

It bothers me that people worry about the "lack of social skills". Mine are homeschooled and very sociable. It's just weird to me.

JTE11
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Oh my, that sounds like most of the conversations I used to have with people. I would get people making faces like they just tasted something bitter when they said the word 'homeschool' but all was magically better when they found out I had the degree (same as yours). "Oh well, then. I guess you will do OK, if you can get her around some other kids so she doesn't grow up weird."  Gee, thanks for the vote of overwhelming confidence, lol. I don't really worry about other people's opinions or feel the need to justify it to anyone, but people are pretty predictable with their comments.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN