Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Have you changed "methods"?

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 7:17 AM
  • 20 Replies
From when you first began homeschooling (if you aren't new, of course!) have you changed your method of homeschooling?

We started out mainly Charlotte mason/classical. Went just CM, and now have been Waldorf inspired for two years. It has been the best fit for us so far. We are kind of unschool/Waldorf.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 7:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 7:31 AM

No, not really. We've always been pretty traditionally scholastic and fairly rigorous. I did try for a classical bent at one point - that didn't last long. We're back where we're comfortable.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

jen2150
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 7:43 AM
Started out traditional and now we are mostly quassi unschoolers with charlotte mason bent.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Nov. 5, 2013 at 7:43 AM
Not too much. I am a still "school at home" type but have relaxed A LOT and given the kids a lot more choices and options.
celticdragon77
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 8:19 AM

It evolved. I used a Montessori with a VERY slight Waldorf style with the kids starting way back when just very young. Then I picked up some Charlotte Mason techniques and then some Classical techniques. I read and read and pick up things that work for us and make sense to me - mixed with ideas of my own. As the kids got older, they have wanted more input into things. We now have a very eclectic style.  

kmath
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 8:21 AM

No, we are still pretty much ecclectic.  We keep changing how we do math, because we have yet to find the right fit.  The overall is still the same though.  I thought about trying to do more project based schooling, but this is working for us right now.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Well, the first year was a knee jerk reaction type thing pulling her out of school.   She was struggling like a fish out of water really badly, and it was affecting her on multiple levels.   When it began again in the new grade, we pulled her out without any preparation.   We used time4learning.com that year because I was also babysitting several school aged kids and one baby full time.   It was not the best year.

The second year, I pulled my second child after kindy and used My Father's World, Saxon, and Handwriting W/O Tears for both of them.   It was a great year, actually.   I imitated school a little because that's what the kids responded to.   They enjoyed tests and "school" stuff.

I was still babysitting, so that affected my energy and routine big time.   Then, DH lost his job... it was a major loss because he couldn't find anything else for a long time and when he did, we had to relocate for it.   I got a job (manditory overtime factory work overnights) and still did all the housework, cooking, and homeschooling.   It was hard.   I even put in a huge garden at that house!!    When I got pregnant, though, I couldn't keep it all up and ended up having an exhaustion break and gave my notice.  I just couldn't do it!

Anyway, all of that has affected our HSing big time.   We manage, though.   So long story short, I guess, not really.   Once I found a pattern I liked (eclectic, changing things up all the time and using many different styles for different purposes), I guess we sorta fit that style.   A little bit of everything... we even have tangents we go off on that are similar to an unschooler's approach.  

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:46 AM

We tried....   Saxon, Time4Learning.com, Rod & Staff, Singapore workbooks, etc...   Math is not a HARD subject for my kids, but none of these were recieved well for very long.   We switched to Math U See this year, and it's been the best thing for us.   The kids watch the videos, do the work, then assess mostly on their own.  

They love it.   I love it.   Couldn't be better.   Yes, we still have the occasional time I have to insist they do at least "this much" or I have to tell them to do it... no, they aren't the type of kids that wake up and say, "Let me do math today."... but they are learning and it's stress free.     It starts out really simple, so I was wondering if it would be enough (they are almost halfway through their books because the first third went so fast!)... However, now that they are halfway in, it's like it's gotten a lot more challenging and they are really learning.

Quoting kmath:

No, we are still pretty much ecclectic.  We keep changing how we do math, because we have yet to find the right fit.  The overall is still the same though.  I thought about trying to do more project based schooling, but this is working for us right now.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I started out kind of unschool-y. I just wasn't ok with my 5 yr old denying his nature and sitting at a desk. Then as they got older, we got more school-y. We started out with just workbooks, then tried a CM style, which we all hated. Then I did a mix of traditional texts and workbooks with a hint of CM(just utilizing the living book aspect)and a splash of hands-on. My dd is now finding herself working better with a strictly traditional approach, though.

So yeah, in 7 years, we've changed our methods quite often. It surprises me how much their age and development have influenced my teaching methods, now that I look back on it. It's cool to see how they've changed.

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 10:48 AM

We went from Charlotte Mason (for about a month or 2) to Unschooling (3+ years) to relaxed Charlotte Mason (using Ambleside Online for 4 years) to relaxed Eclectic using good tried & true programs we both enjoy.

I actually prefer not having to "live up to" any sort of real label.  It's freeing and feels better for us.

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:00 AM
We haven't changed too much. We're still eclectic/school at home. We've just learned to relax a bit.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)