Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you changed "methods"?

Posted by   + Show Post
From when you first began homeschooling (if you aren't new, of course!) have you changed your method of homeschooling?

We started out mainly Charlotte mason/classical. Went just CM, and now have been Waldorf inspired for two years. It has been the best fit for us so far. We are kind of unschool/Waldorf.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 7:17 AM
Replies (11-20):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:05 AM

We started out with k12, so yeah!!!  Now we are eclectic/scholastic. 

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Yes and no. I started out eclectic and finished that way but over the years we added in more unschooling on certain subjects. If I could start all over again and start with homeschooling from the beginning I'd go with unschooling for sure.

coala
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:13 AM

We are pretty traditional and it seems to work for my girls.  I have to remember constantly that my youngest can't be forced to sit still....just has to much energy.  She learns very well with a traditional method, but has to be able to get  up, run around and just in general bounce off the walls.

OT:  The can't sit still drives my MIL insane....she was sitting next to her at dinner last night and I could see the annoyance on her face while my child is wriggling in the seat next to her.  My LO was eating, using her manner and being polite....she just can't be still. 

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Constantly,lol. We tried traditional but that was a big flop. Now we're eclectic, I guess?

Precious333
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:25 AM
I went from unschooling to classical/charlotte mason. I havr a friend that started doingvwaldorf method and it fits her as well.
Precious333
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Lol, my kids are the same, drives my mil crazy too!

Quoting coala:

We are pretty traditional and it seems to work for my girls.  I have to remember constantly that my youngest can't be forced to sit still....just has to much energy.  She learns very well with a traditional method, but has to be able to get  up, run around and just in general bounce off the walls.

OT:  The can't sit still drives my MIL insane....she was sitting next to her at dinner last night and I could see the annoyance on her face while my child is wriggling in the seat next to her.  My LO was eating, using her manner and being polite....she just can't be still. 

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 5, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I have changed the way I do everything (I mean everything not just education) from the way it was when my oldest was the age my youngest is now! I will continue to be open to change if I learn of a "better for our family" way of doing things!

southernwldchld
by Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 12:59 PM

We started out pretty much school at home, my second oldest blew that out of the water though. Now we are a much more relaxed, unschool type environment. Being in a hybrid program it's been interesting figuring out HOW to unschool and have to present monthly progress but we've managed so far. 

All of time and space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was
Where do you want to start? Take the Doctors hand and join us at Cafe Who!

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I don't think I've ever had a method.

kmath
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:18 PM

If Beast Academy doesn't work out I am going to try Math U See.  I keep hearing a lot about it and it sounds good.  Math is easy for DS, he just doesn't like the ways we have tried doing it. 

Quoting KrissyKC:

We tried....   Saxon, Time4Learning.com, Rod & Staff, Singapore workbooks, etc...   Math is not a HARD subject for my kids, but none of these were recieved well for very long.   We switched to Math U See this year, and it's been the best thing for us.   The kids watch the videos, do the work, then assess mostly on their own.  

They love it.   I love it.   Couldn't be better.   Yes, we still have the occasional time I have to insist they do at least "this much" or I have to tell them to do it... no, they aren't the type of kids that wake up and say, "Let me do math today."... but they are learning and it's stress free.     It starts out really simple, so I was wondering if it would be enough (they are almost halfway through their books because the first third went so fast!)... However, now that they are halfway in, it's like it's gotten a lot more challenging and they are really learning.

Quoting kmath:

No, we are still pretty much ecclectic.  We keep changing how we do math, because we have yet to find the right fit.  The overall is still the same though.  I thought about trying to do more project based schooling, but this is working for us right now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)