Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What are you planing to get the LO's? Do you get what they want or what they need? Or a little bit of both? Does anyone else get out there and hit up black Friday? I for one LOVE the sales but I ALWAYS go over board. I need to scale back this year. Any tips? Okay sorry this post is so off topic and a little random, lol. gift christmas tree

by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Replies (11-20):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Me too.  I love my kids believing in the magic of childhood Christmas, but it makes it so much harder.  I will come up with something though if it does not.  It may be small but then again they should be thankful for all they get.

Quoting TatyBear:

That's sucks :(

One reason why I'm glad my young kids no Santa is not real.

I.hope the insurance comes in on time.

Quoting debramommyof4:

We were going to buy them each one large present then my husband was in a motorcycle accident. So unless the insurance pays up we may have a late Christmas. It socks but they will get something it just may be late. Now how to explain to kids that still believe Santa brings the presents? And 2 can read a calendar.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

We do three main gifts under the tree to honor Christ's recieving three gifts.    But the night before they get a cuddle gift for bed time...(we have given hand made pillows, Christmas throws, and this year it's fuzzy slippers!)... and then they get a stocking of small things and treats.   Oh, and we have a small hand made stocking on the tree that is their "money" stockings.   It's usually only 2-4 bucks each.

This year....

Practical gift:   couple PJ's, socks, and bath products

Second gift:  Either going to be Keva planks or a robotics kit.

Third gift:  a personal favorite for each...  (one kid is getting a skylanders starter set, one is getting a couple monster high dolls all wrapped up as one gift, and another is getting sewing/crafting supplies)

Then we help each of the kids pay for a $10 gift exchange (4 kids) for each other.   They do chores and things to earn it at least... LOL!

angelamiles05
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I love the 3 gift idea... Where did you come up with that?

Quoting KrissyKC:

We do three main gifts under the tree to honor Christ's recieving three gifts.    But the night before they get a cuddle gift for bed time...(we have given hand made pillows, Christmas throws, and this year it's fuzzy slippers!)... and then they get a stocking of small things and treats.   Oh, and we have a small hand made stocking on the tree that is their "money" stockings.   It's usually only 2-4 bucks each.

This year....

Third gift:  a personal favorite for each...  (one kid is getting a skylanders starter set, one is getting a couple monster high dolls all wrapped up as one gift, and another is getting sewing/crafting supplies)

Then we help each of the kids pay for a $10 gift exchange (4 kids) for each other.   They do chores and things to earn it at least... LOL!

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 7:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Friends of ours used to do it, I'm not sure where the idea itself came from.    I ran across a blog a lady wrote about how they give SPECIFIC types of gifts to represent each of the three things Christ got..... I forget the website.

Gold was for something valuable, something they really wanted or you wanted them to have that is precious like gold.

Frankinscence was for a spiritual gift, like a new bible, some worship music, etc...

Myrr was something for the body, like clothes, shoes, bath products, etc.

We haven't done this, but we do stick to three gifts and one of them is practical.

Quoting angelamiles05:

I love the 3 gift idea... Where did you come up with that?

Quoting KrissyKC:

This year....

smalltownmom03
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 7:36 AM
1 mom liked this
This year we are getting them each 4 gifts (something you need, something you want, something to wear, and something to read) and one big gift to share. For the big gift I am putting together a science experiment kit. For the science kit I am buying 2 science experiment books (they will be here Tuesday) and everything they need to do all of the experiments. I am putting all of that along with a lab coat, safety goggles, and gloves in a decorated plastic tote.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 8:37 AM

I have no idea how we're going to pull of Christmas this year, especially with Hubby retired and has not been able to find a job and the job offer I recieved a month ago fell through...

I know Little Man wants games for his leappad2. Hubby wants to chuck that and just get him a Kindle Fire, which he'd love that too...but I have no problem with him borrowing mine :/
I think hubby is getting himself a Kindle Fire during the Black Friday/ Cyber Monday sales.
Jamie...I have NO clue what she wants, and she's not letting it slip. I suppose anything related to art would work, but we have so much art supplies...American Girl stuff too maybe... She's gotten to that challenge stage in the gift world for me lol

Unfortunatly, they're probably only going to be looking at new pants, shirts, and socks that fit them instead :(

angelamiles05
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I love the one big gift to share idea... My kids want a ds.

Quoting smalltownmom03:

This year we are getting them each 4 gifts (something you need, something you want, something to wear, and something to read) and one big gift to share. For the big gift I am putting together a science experiment kit. For the science kit I am buying 2 science experiment books (they will be here Tuesday) and everything they need to do all of the experiments. I am putting all of that along with a lab coat, safety goggles, and gloves in a decorated plastic tote.

2chillins4me
by Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 7:09 PM

We do 4 gifts each.  A want, a need, a wear, a read.  I got the idea from Superpickle off of Cafemom.  We have done it the last couple of years and it has worked out great.

kmath
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:05 PM

He is getting some of the stuff he really wants, like more Skylander Characters and the paintball gun he wants.  He is also getting educational stuff and clothes.  I buy throughout the year, so I do tend to go overboard.  Mainly because I forget stuff I had already gotten him.  I am working on that.

ambcortez
by Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:07 PM

I found a Littlest Pet Shop set for DD and a Minecraft lego set for DS. Those will be their "big gift" and they want other things like puzzles and books and Mario jammies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)