Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Struggling with my confidence again :(

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:40 AM
  • 4 Replies

Ladies, I am in need of some homeschooling advice. This is my second year homeschooling. My oldest is 8 and struggles with some things. He has been diagnosed ADHD but also has some autistic tendencies! Needless to say this is why we decided to homeschool him after his 1st grade year. So when he came home to me he already had all of the basics. He knew how to write, basic reading, ect. We just built on that. Well this year is my first year homeschooling my second son. He is kindergarten. I am struggling! I am so worried I am not going to be able to teach him the basics for him to be able to excel in the later years. Can anyone relate to these fears? We are working on the basics, learning his letters, we are using sight words, etc. But its slow going! And I am not so sure I am getting it right. We are using Abeka curriculum and there are so many blends, I worry if I am even teaching them correctly. Are there any online sites that can help me in this area. I have no fear about teaching any other subjects, just reading and writing as I feel these are the most important and I am most likely to ruin his life if I teach them incorrectly, or not well enough!

by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 5, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I think we all have those fears no matter what as parents!

It is a known fact that the human mind learns to read at different ages & that the spectrum can be as young as 2 & as old as 13. As long as he is learning & progressing I would say you have nothing to worry about!

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 12:17 PM
You sound like us our first year. We are using abeka and that first year felt like we were getting no where, but surprise surprise. One day the light bulb came on and everything clicked and she took off. (That wasn't until first grade)
Abeka has a phonics cd that has all the blends on it. You may want to look into that. We used it a lot in k5.
They will review these blends through 2nd grade for sure (that's where we're at now) so y'all will be practicing and reviewing them a lot.
You got this!
jen2150
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Teaching my sons to read was my biggest fear as well. It will get easier. The biggest way to help your son is to create an atmosphere of desire. Read to him as often as he will let you. Don't force and stay relaxed and calm. There is plenty of time. My son is now just starting and he is in 4th grade. He keeps reading behind my back. I love it. Every child is different. Make sure he sees you reading everyday. Talk to him about the many cool things you are learning. Good luck on your journey.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I'm with the other ladies, you can do this.  As long as he is making some progress, then you are doing fine. Our local PS teaches the blends in Kinder and turns right around and teaches the same blends in the first semester of 1st grade.  Because so many kids are at so many levels, they want to make sure it is introduced over a very long age grouping.  So just keep slowly working your way through.  And read, read, read to him!  And show him that you read for pleasure yourself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)