Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Story of the World...*pic added*

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 5:36 PM
  • 10 Replies

Anyone else using this? I wish our Charter School had mentioned it YEARS ago! They started a proogram called "Classical Mondays" and DD goes to it. It is based off of those book. We are starting with Book 1 and the Ancients.

I love that we got the reading/text book as well as the book on CD so she can read along but listen to it.

DD did the Intro today and made a personal photo timeline and she is mailing out letters to her Grandparents asking them to fill out a little biography sheet and mail it back to her :)

We got our book late, so we are behind the class. This last week they did Ancient Egypt and made baskets in class. They are in the process of mummifying a chicken. LOL We should catch up pretty quickly.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 5:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Yep!  We are on book 2, the middle ages.  The boys are having a lot of fun with the feudal system and comparing it to other hierarchies and we've gotten a bit off topic discussing how maybe the bones of dinosaurs are the reasons behind the dragon legends.  Great books!  And the chapters are short enough that we can read a small section and then talk our way all around the topic!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 6:04 PM
We have and enjoy the books. 8)
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this

It's great. I love the first book. I wouldn't/couldn't use the others because there are some things that contradict our faith, and I don't feel like reinventing the wheel, but it's by far the most child friendly, interesting, hands on world history program for the grammar stage, imo.

I'm surprised your charter is doing it. It's unabashadly protestant Christian (I know she tries very hard to be neutral, but makes no qualms about her faith and that is reflected in the books).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Nov. 5, 2013 at 6:25 PM
4 moms liked this

Here is DD's personal timeline that she made today :)

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Nov. 5, 2013 at 6:27 PM

I was kind of surprised too. I had heard many mention it and it looked great but never asked for it before because of the "secular only" rule.  I guess it is vague enough to slip by the sensors :)

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I'm surprised your charter is doing it. It's unabashadly protestant Christian (I know she tries very hard to be neutral, but makes no qualms about her faith and that is reflected in the books).

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 7:22 PM

I LOVE Story of the World. My daughter hates it, so unfortunatly I'm looking for something else for her and hoping that I can use this again with my little guy.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 7:27 PM

That is so odd, lol. One of our reasons for ditching the later books in the series is that it's "too protestant", lol.

I know some secular homeschoolers use it, but I've also heard tale of them having to leave out, add to, etc in order to make it secular.

But hey, it's good that the charter is using it - you can't better than SOTW for history at this age!

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I was kind of surprised too. I had heard many mention it and it looked great but never asked for it before because of the "secular only" rule.  I guess it is vague enough to slip by the sensors :)

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

kmath
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:20 PM

We love it mostly.  We have had to leave a few chapters out, but other than that it has been great.  DS LOVES doing the projects!  We are building a seige tower this week!

ColtsFan1912
by Bekah on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:21 PM

We are using it. I do like it but some of the chapteres are so short.  We've spent some extra time on some of the chapters, like the old kingdom of Egypt. Caleb is getting quite into mummies and such so it's been fun. I love Ancient History so I'm having a ton of fun with it also.

monkeybunns
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 4:27 PM

I didn't really like it.  I mean I do but I don't.  I found another living history that's written from an LDS perspective and uses Biblical quotes as well as quotes from LDS scripture.  We're doing American history now.  I might do SOTW in the summers because we do have more than just the first level but we don't have the activity things to go with which might be the problem?  I just really like that this curriculum I'm using now is living history with stories and everything but it's actually written on a jr/sr high level so I actually have to read and put it in a way my littles will understand but I can also use videos and stuff to demonstrate the things we're learning.  I guess I could have done that with Story of the World but I wasn't forced to preread like I am now ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)