Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Hi. I'm fairly new to homeschooling. I am trying to get a good system set up to homeschool my daughter. She is four years old and right now we are working on pre-school level things but I'd like to have a system or set up that could easily take her into the first or second grade with little modification like just adding or changing curriculum as we go. She shares a room with her seven year old sister but I was considering moving her into her own room. Aggghhh. This brings me to question number 1...should I set up her school materials in her bedroom? Question 2? I was thinking of ordering the Sonlight curriculum, have any of you used this and if so what was your experience? Question 3? If no, what curriculum do you use? Question 4..what does your homeschool system look like? Thank you all.

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:36 AM
Replies (11-19):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Just curious..is your older DD homeschooled as well?

My kids each have desks, or should I call them child torture devices? They HATE working at their desk and it has become a punishment if they refuse to cooperate in the place if their choosing.
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Quoting MommeisQueen:

Hi. I'm fairly new to homeschooling. I am trying to get a good system set up to homeschool my daughter. She is four years old and right now we are working on pre-school level things but I'd like to have a system or set up that could easily take her into the first or second grade with little modification like just adding or changing curriculum as we go. She shares a room with her seven year old sister but I was considering moving her into her own room. Aggghhh. This brings me to question number 1...should I set up her school materials in her bedroom?

I wouldn't, just because my kids would get into it.

Question 2? I was thinking of ordering the Sonlight curriculum, have any of you used this and if so what was your experience? 

I haven't used it myself.

Question 3? If no, what curriculum do you use? 

We don't have a set curriculum. I just pull things from different sources and go with it.

Question 4..what does your homeschool system look like? Thank you all.

Reading- Any books they're interested in for however long they want to read.

Writing- 8yo ds writes letters to out of state family and notes to his little sister.

Math- Workbooks, shopping and trips to the cemetery.

Grammar- MadLibs and sentenceplay.co.uk (a computer game)

History- I read to them from a couple Greek Myth books. When we finish I plan on watching Hercules and The Percy Jackson movies :-)

Science- Magic school bus, Wild Kratts, any interesting documentary. Plus I just picked up this awesome Irresponsible Science experiment book.

Life skills- Shopping, cleaning, cooking, sewing and for my son, playing with kids.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I was going to ask that too,lol.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

My kids each have desks, or should I call them child torture devices? They HATE working at their desk and it has become a punishment if they refuse to cooperate in the place if their choosing.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I wrote this for people homeschooling teens but most of it is applicable to any new homeschooler. Here are my best tips.

1. Look up your state laws. Make sure you are in compliance. I like this site rather than HSLDA

http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/directory/Legalities.htm

2. Decide what your mutual goals for the future of your student are, high school degree, GED, college and so on.

3. Find out your teen's best learning styles. I'd use POC4U to aide this.

http://www.edudps.com/poc4u.html

4. Research ways to do an education along with your teen. I recommend The Teenage Liberation Handbook.

5. Pick out curriculum (if any)  WITH your teen. I do not recommend buying a full curriculum the first year. It tends to lead to frustration and a waste of money.

6. Be flexible, expect change.

7. Locate local groups and resources.

8. Don't forget to make it fun, relax now and then, just enjoy each other.

9. Be sure to keep your student in touch with any friends they really want to spend time with and which you do not feel are a really bad influence.

And finally, relax, relax, relax. The very best thing you can do is de-school. Let your students find what their are passions and pursue them.

I have one that has won a four year academic scholarship and one that has won a renewable athletic scholarship. That's only my student athlete's first college visit and offer. There are more offers to come.

Stressing over making your child learn or doing what the public or private schools are doing or doing enough won't help you or them. I wish someone had told me that when I began and that I could have wrapped my head around it and believed it.

Love them. Like them. Trust them. Support their dreams even when you don't like or understand what they are. This is the best gift you can give anyone. It's also a gift that will allow them to do things that will impress you over the years.

To address your specific questions, I would move her to her own room. If you want to put up some posters on learning things that's fine but we homeschooled all over the house. I did have a desk, computer (which I wouldn't for a 4 year old) and bookshelf in each of my kids rooms. I did keep a set of curriculum except for the "teacher materials" there.

At her age I would consider using Five in a Row

http://fiveinarow.com/

and supplimenting with math maybe from a work book from Sams Club or the Parent / Teacher store. (IF she likes workbook pages.) I'd let her play and use her imagination a lot, take her to the backyard to do some gardening with you, let her help you cook, take her to the park, library, zoo and museum.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this
That is awesome

Quoting MommeisQueen:

Yeah I have a wall and a corner of her room with her alphabets that I'd like to add her other school related visuals to(calendar, number chart etc). Right now I have a three drawer cart holding our materials that I put in the garage when we are done and we do most things at the kitchen table. 

Quoting debramommyof4:

Do you have a corner somewhere you can set up?  For just one you do not even need a full room.  A corner with a calendar and the alphabet and to store materials would be enough.  Then you can use the table as a desk or get her a small one.

Quoting MommeisQueen:

Thank you for being so detailed. I kind of homeschooled my older kids until they went to Kinder and we do homeschool type of activities in thier downtime and we use our kitchen or anywhere really. I am ready to move out of the kitchen and find a dedicated space for her school materials as she is requiring a lot more structure, visuals, malipulatives etc.  

Quoting debramommyof4:

I am going to answer in your post to make sure I answer all your questions. 

Hi. I'm fairly new to homeschooling. I am trying to get a good system set up to homeschool my daughter. She is four years old and right now we are working on pre-school level things but I'd like to have a system or set up that could easily take her into the first or second grade with little modification like just adding or changing curriculum as we go. She shares a room with her seven year old sister but I was considering moving her into her own room. Aggghhh. This brings me to question number 1...should I set up her school materials in her bedroom? I do not do this because my children are that age and would play with scissors and glue and things in their room.  I am fortunate enough to have an entry room that works perfectly for my school room.  It is to small for anything else.  Lots of homeschoolers use the kitchen table, the couch, and floor and school everywhere though.  A question to ask is do you want one place, or do you want to learn everywhere you are?  For preschool I have found, I am on my 4th preschooler, you will learn everywhere and preschoolers do not learn anything like older kids. Question 2? I was thinking of ordering the Sonlight curriculum, have any of you used this and if so what was your experience? I have not used Sonlight but I have dreamed about it.  The more I look at it though I think for my family it would be a waste of money.  My kids are all learning on so many different levels it would just not work well for us.  Sonlight is also liturature based and extremely expensive.   Question 3? If no, what curriculum do you use? I use letter of the weeek, and lesson pathways.  Both of which are free and very good curriculum.  Lessonepathways.com and http://www.letteroftheweek.com/ Question 4..what does your homeschool system look like?  I have a 7 year old, 6 year old, 4 year old and 3 year old.  We say the Pledge of Allegiance, go over the calendar and weather.  We then do our history and science which we all do together.  Then my older two go to their desk where they work on their lessons, while I go over the letter of the week, we talk about the snack of the week (goes with the letter), read a poem, talk about the animal, shape and number of the week.  They do some fun activities, then while my 3 year old does some coloring my 4 year old and I sit down and work on his phonics lessons (he asked to learn how to read or he would be coloring also).  After we are done with phonics we read a story then they are done for the day and I go work with my bigger girls.  It all takes about an hour with my 4 and 3 year olds.  My 6 and 7 year olds spend about 4 or 5 hours if they are slow to finish their work for math, lit, spanish, and handwriting. Thank you all.

Are you planning to homeschool your 7 year old also?

No I do not plan on homeschooling my 7 year old at this point, she goes to public school right now. I did homeschool her for a year prior to her entering Kindergarten as well as my son who is now in Kinder but I am considering homeschooling my 4 year old beyond pre-school and am trying to gather my thoughts on it as well as get some type of system in place.  

romacox
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Good  advice from others.  start out with your State Laws. As a home school workshop leader,  I  put together the following free web page. It  will help you find your State Laws, and help you with curriculum too.

How To Home School

MommeisQueen
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

No she isn't. My dd has a hard time settling down long enough to sit but she doesn't hate it. Beautiful things can happen at a desk, I would never want to make that a punishment. Best wishes to you and your kiddos.   

MommeisQueen
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Thank you.  

Quoting debramommyof4:

That is awesome

Quoting MommeisQueen:

Yeah I have a wall and a corner of her room with her alphabets that I'd like to add her other school related visuals to(calendar, number chart etc). Right now I have a three drawer cart holding our materials that I put in the garage when we are done and we do most things at the kitchen table. 

Quoting debramommyof4:

Do you have a corner somewhere you can set up?  For just one you do not even need a full room.  A corner with a calendar and the alphabet and to store materials would be enough.  Then you can use the table as a desk or get her a small one.

Quoting MommeisQueen:

Thank you for being so detailed. I kind of homeschooled my older kids until they went to Kinder and we do homeschool type of activities in thier downtime and we use our kitchen or anywhere really. I am ready to move out of the kitchen and find a dedicated space for her school materials as she is requiring a lot more structure, visuals, malipulatives etc.  

Quoting debramommyof4:

I am going to answer in your post to make sure I answer all your questions. 

Hi. I'm fairly new to homeschooling. I am trying to get a good system set up to homeschool my daughter. She is four years old and right now we are working on pre-school level things but I'd like to have a system or set up that could easily take her into the first or second grade with little modification like just adding or changing curriculum as we go. She shares a room with her seven year old sister but I was considering moving her into her own room. Aggghhh. This brings me to question number 1...should I set up her school materials in her bedroom? I do not do this because my children are that age and would play with scissors and glue and things in their room.  I am fortunate enough to have an entry room that works perfectly for my school room.  It is to small for anything else.  Lots of homeschoolers use the kitchen table, the couch, and floor and school everywhere though.  A question to ask is do you want one place, or do you want to learn everywhere you are?  For preschool I have found, I am on my 4th preschooler, you will learn everywhere and preschoolers do not learn anything like older kids. Question 2? I was thinking of ordering the Sonlight curriculum, have any of you used this and if so what was your experience? I have not used Sonlight but I have dreamed about it.  The more I look at it though I think for my family it would be a waste of money.  My kids are all learning on so many different levels it would just not work well for us.  Sonlight is also liturature based and extremely expensive.   Question 3? If no, what curriculum do you use? I use letter of the weeek, and lesson pathways.  Both of which are free and very good curriculum.  Lessonepathways.com and http://www.letteroftheweek.com/ Question 4..what does your homeschool system look like?  I have a 7 year old, 6 year old, 4 year old and 3 year old.  We say the Pledge of Allegiance, go over the calendar and weather.  We then do our history and science which we all do together.  Then my older two go to their desk where they work on their lessons, while I go over the letter of the week, we talk about the snack of the week (goes with the letter), read a poem, talk about the animal, shape and number of the week.  They do some fun activities, then while my 3 year old does some coloring my 4 year old and I sit down and work on his phonics lessons (he asked to learn how to read or he would be coloring also).  After we are done with phonics we read a story then they are done for the day and I go work with my bigger girls.  It all takes about an hour with my 4 and 3 year olds.  My 6 and 7 year olds spend about 4 or 5 hours if they are slow to finish their work for math, lit, spanish, and handwriting. Thank you all.

Are you planning to homeschool your 7 year old also?

No I do not plan on homeschooling my 7 year old at this point, she goes to public school right now. I did homeschool her for a year prior to her entering Kindergarten as well as my son who is now in Kinder but I am considering homeschooling my 4 year old beyond pre-school and am trying to gather my thoughts on it as well as get some type of system in place.  

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Nov. 6, 2013 at 5:47 PM
I thought they would love the desks. They were cool for about a year. Then they decided the floor, couch, bed, etc...ANYWHERE but the desk was better.

It works as a great redirection/punishment..whatever. If you cant work in here...then go to your desk. Whatever works.

Quoting MommeisQueen: 
Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:Just curious..is your older DD homeschooled as well?My kids each have desks, or should I call them child torture devices? They HATE working at their desk and it has become a punishment if they refuse to cooperate in the place if their choosing.
No she isn't. My dd has a hard time settling down long enough to sit but she doesn't hate it. Beautiful things can happen at a desk, I would never want to make that a punishment. Best wishes to you and your kiddos.   
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN