Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

We are prepping for the Terra Novas coming up next week.  So I've had my oldest (chronologically a 3rd grader) doing some reading comprehension work.  But when we do reading comprehension at home they are open-ended, answer in full sentence type questions.  So today I gave him one with multiple choice questions.  His response when he got to the questions.....

X: "Mom, what is this?"
Me: "Your reading comp test prep."
X: "But the answers are right there."
Me: "Yep"
X: "Seriously.  This is what the school had me all nervous about?"
Me: "Yep"
X: "What are the consequences if I don't do well?"
Me: "You'll let me worry about that."
X:  "Will I have to go back to PS?"
Me: No, I won't allow that."
X: "Okay, cool."

Makes me wonder what the schools hope to accomplish when they scare the kids with all the horrible consequences from those tests.

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Replies (11-14):
usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 6, 2013 at 6:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting usmom3:

I hate testing & believe that it is not an effective way to know what a child has truly learned! Just because a person is good at tests dose not mean they can use the information in real situations! 

I completely agree!!  Unfortunately we have to take this test.  Fortunately, my boys have not been filled with dread for these tests by the very teachers that are supposed to be preparing them for the test.

I swear, no matter what happens in this test, I will make sure he can stay home.  Filling him with fear of testing will not fill him with the love of learning!

Yeah I know that there are some states that demand it of the homeschoolers! I love that you are doing what you are doing & that you are willing to fight them over to keep him home!

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 7:30 PM

I only taught public school for 3 years and then I was "not renewed." I think I got let go from teaching public school because I told the 5th graders that the state test didn't matter. I told them to do their best and they were all smart and I was sure they'd all pass easily, but ultimately their grade didn't matter since they'd already be in middle school by the time we got their scores back. A fellow teacher was very angry with me for telling them that! But I swear, some of the kids were so nervous they'd cry and parents would talk about their kids being treated for anxiety!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Quoting Mandallyn:

My son, who is in 1st grade, brings home homework that is 9x out of 10 multiple choice, fill in the bubble type work. I was so disappointed when I saw those worksheets. They're already preparing him for test taking in grade 1. That seems extremely f-ed up to me.

We almost never do multiple choice.  I want him to think for himself.  BUT the schools have too much money incentives tied to their test scores, so they begin way too early.  It's sad!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Quoting Chasing3:

I only taught public school for 3 years and then I was "not renewed." I think I got let go from teaching public school because I told the 5th graders that the state test didn't matter. I told them to do their best and they were all smart and I was sure they'd all pass easily, but ultimately their grade didn't matter since they'd already be in middle school by the time we got their scores back. A fellow teacher was very angry with me for telling them that! But I swear, some of the kids were so nervous they'd cry and parents would talk about their kids being treated for anxiety!

It's so sad that a teacher could be let go for putting a child's mind at ease!  I am sure my son would have needed treated for anxiety by the time these tests came around and then we'd be turning around to do it all over again in 5th grade.  SMH, sad!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN