Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Is anyone aware of a Math curriculum for a first grader that is computer based? One that is not aligned to the Common Core. We are desperetly seeking something to replace Saxon. :(

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Replies (11-13):
lovepotato
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I found this list of curricula and whether its aligned with Common Core or not. We're loosely using Saxon Math and we're in 1st grade too, so I haven't used any other math programs. Its listed in alphabetical order so you have to know what you're looking for, so its good for checking if your already have a curriculum in mind. I do know a lot of Christian companies haven't switched, but I don't know if you want a Christian curriculum.

Here's the link: http://www.theeducationfreedomcoalition.org/2013/06/master-list.html

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:18 AM
If we were not still with k12 with my first grader I would use teaching textbooks with her and she is advanced in math. If they do not have time and money down then you need to add that but it is fairly easy.

Quoting vintage-misha:

I have no yet looked at TT, I know we want to go that route so I will just look now. 

I have never heard of Miquon, I will look into them. 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Have you had him test to see if he would fit into Teaching Textbooks grade 3? It's pretty significantly behind other programs at that level, and it isn't unheard of for a 1st grade strong math student to test into it.

Beyond that, while not computer based, have you looked at Miquon? We're using it with my middle son (he's 4, but advanced - it's a grade 1-4 program). It's a ton of fun. C-rod based and very play oriented.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 7, 2013 at 7:05 PM
Have you tried writing your own? At that age it really isn't that difficult to do once you get started.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)