Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Poll

Question: Would you ever take your kids to a graveyard for school?

Options:

I would. It sounds like fun.

I wouldn't. I find it to be disrespectful.

I don't think it's disrespectful but I wouldn't go.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 50

View Results

8 yo ds has been struggling with subtraction. He knows how to do it, he just doesn't want to. So here I am racking my brains trying to figure out a fun way for him to do math. Then last week as I was passing the cemetery, it hit me!

Out of habit, I mentally subtract the birthday from the death day to figure out how old the person was. *Light bulb* I peddled home and asked ds how would he like to go to the graveyard and do some math? He was all for it. So yesterday we spent the day roaming around the graveyard, figuring out how old everyone was. The oldest grave we found dated March 18th 1860 to December 22 1860.

My Mil of course got wind of it (Facebook) and told me how disrespectful it was for us to to go traipsing over people's graves. She said it was a place for mourning and remembering, not a fun house. *Wet blanket*

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Replies (21-30):
AnnieGoolaheey
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:06 PM
No loll. My sn is from a movie. I love the name Annie though. I wish my husband liked it. I would love to name a little girl Annie.

Quoting paganbaby:

Ot. Forgive me if I've already asked you but is your real name Annie? It's so rare for me to find another one,lol.

Quoting AnnieGoolaheey:

Sure.

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:06 PM
2 moms liked this

We were supposed to be going to the graveyard in a few weeks for a History event the city is putting on.  They hired a man to dress as Lincoln and deliver the Gettysburg Address.  Sadly my youngest daughters camp was moved to that week so we may not be so lucky as to be able to attend that event.

I have used the life/death of a person as an example of subtraction, and it's actually a good idea.  As for respectful and disrespectful, that is something that is a personal opinion that can differ depending on who you ask.  I know some that would consider it disrespectful, while I know others, like myself, that wouldn't.

Clh1989
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:16 PM
2 moms liked this

Do you have a national cemetary nearby? You could tie it in with a veterans day lesson.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Which move is that? And your dh is a brat,lol. Annie is an awesome name ;-)

Quoting AnnieGoolaheey:

No loll. My sn is from a movie. I love the name Annie though. I wish my husband liked it. I would love to name a little girl Annie.

Quoting paganbaby:

Ot. Forgive me if I've already asked you but is your real name Annie? It's so rare for me to find another one,lol.

Quoting AnnieGoolaheey:

Sure.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

ColtsFan1912
by Bekah on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:19 PM
2 moms liked this

I haven't but I would. I LOVE graveyards anyways. I love to walk around them and read the headstones. I'm very respectful and I would teach my kids to be. . .in fact I might have to do this soon. It'd be a good lesson in many ways I'd think

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I'm not sure, I'll have to check. And sure dd'll get a kick out of it. She's turning 7 on Veterans day,lol.

Quoting Clh1989:

Do you have a national cemetary nearby? You could tie it in with a veterans day lesson.

TidewaterClan
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:23 PM
That's a wonderful idea. We like cemeteries for all the reasons the other ladies listed. We have one close to us with a lot if veterans' graves. We love looking at their Navy, Air Force, Marines, Army, & Coast Guard emblems & thanking them & their spouses for their service.

We also have an old graveyard here (Dayton, Oh) with Wilbur & Orville Wright, their sister, & Erma Bombeck.
PurpleCupcake
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Kinda sad. 100+ years from now no one will know anything about us.

Quoting paganbaby:

Oh, of course. But the section we were in didn't have any. These graves were 100 plus years old.

Quoting Precious333:

As long as you are respectful to the mourners, i would go.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know. Maybe if I become an insane dictator....

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Kinda sad. 100+ years from now no one will know anything about us.

Quoting paganbaby:

Oh, of course. But the section we were in didn't have any. These graves were 100 plus years old.

Quoting Precious333:

As long as you are respectful to the mourners, i would go.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this
As long as you are respectful and stay off their graves there is no reason not too. I grew up basically in a cemetery.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)