Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Poll

Question: Would you ever take your kids to a graveyard for school?

Options:

I would. It sounds like fun.

I wouldn't. I find it to be disrespectful.

I don't think it's disrespectful but I wouldn't go.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 50

View Results

8 yo ds has been struggling with subtraction. He knows how to do it, he just doesn't want to. So here I am racking my brains trying to figure out a fun way for him to do math. Then last week as I was passing the cemetery, it hit me!

Out of habit, I mentally subtract the birthday from the death day to figure out how old the person was. *Light bulb* I peddled home and asked ds how would he like to go to the graveyard and do some math? He was all for it. So yesterday we spent the day roaming around the graveyard, figuring out how old everyone was. The oldest grave we found dated March 18th 1860 to December 22 1860.

My Mil of course got wind of it (Facebook) and told me how disrespectful it was for us to to go traipsing over people's graves. She said it was a place for mourning and remembering, not a fun house. *Wet blanket*

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Replies (31-40):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:39 PM
I have two graves on my property. I don't find it creepy. I think as long as you are respectful while visiting the graves I don't seen a problem. I liked to use legos to teach math. I am also using k'nex to teach geometry
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:43 PM
I would. My dd and I are history nerds so we do that a lot. They're dead, they don't care.
Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this

there are some really interesting grave yards in Boston full of famous people. The tourist books are full of them as ideas to visit.

AnnieGoolaheey
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:00 PM

LOL.  Overboard is tha name of the movie..

Quoting paganbaby:

Which move is that? And your dh is a brat,lol. Annie is an awesome name ;-)

Quoting AnnieGoolaheey:

No loll. My sn is from a movie. I love the name Annie though. I wish my husband liked it. I would love to name a little girl Annie.

Quoting paganbaby:

Ot. Forgive me if I've already asked you but is your real name Annie? It's so rare for me to find another one,lol.

Quoting AnnieGoolaheey:

Sure.

)0(
LostTheSlipper
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:28 PM
We went to Arlington. Does that count?
bmw29
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:29 PM
I wouldn't do it for math but we're supposed to be going to a civil war era cemetery for history.
usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I think it sounds great! When I was young my sister & I would go to the cemetery & do the same thing just for the heck of it!

JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Graveyards, particularly old graveyards, have a wealth of information and history.  There is nothing "creepy" about it.  The dead won't care, and presumably you were respectful of the living who were visiting relative's graves. 

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

We're Mormon and as such, big into genealogy and family history, so going to a graveyard would be no big deal for us. I would think as long as you are not being loud or rude, what's the harm? There should be a sort of reverence in a place like that, but whether you are there for personal reasons to visit a loved one's resting place or for study, I don't see a problem with it. 

lovepotato
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:22 AM

We go to a cemetery at least once a year. Our oldest was stillborn, so we go eat lunch by his headstone, at least on Mothers Day. I love looking at the other headstones. You can learn about people's lives by how their families choose to remember them. As long as you're relatively quiet and your kids aren't jumping off headstones, I think it sounds like a great field trip.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)