Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Poll

Question: Would you ever take your kids to a graveyard for school?

Options:

I would. It sounds like fun.

I wouldn't. I find it to be disrespectful.

I don't think it's disrespectful but I wouldn't go.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 50

View Results

8 yo ds has been struggling with subtraction. He knows how to do it, he just doesn't want to. So here I am racking my brains trying to figure out a fun way for him to do math. Then last week as I was passing the cemetery, it hit me!

Out of habit, I mentally subtract the birthday from the death day to figure out how old the person was. *Light bulb* I peddled home and asked ds how would he like to go to the graveyard and do some math? He was all for it. So yesterday we spent the day roaming around the graveyard, figuring out how old everyone was. The oldest grave we found dated March 18th 1860 to December 22 1860.

My Mil of course got wind of it (Facebook) and told me how disrespectful it was for us to to go traipsing over people's graves. She said it was a place for mourning and remembering, not a fun house. *Wet blanket*

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Replies (41-50):
MunchiesMom324
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:27 AM
When i was in 4 or 5 grade (mid- late 90s) my math teacher gave us a project... to go to a cemetery, take info samples (dates of birth, death, gender) and create pie charts. Were there more males or females? More children than adults? It was really fun. I still enjoy roaming graveyards and it was all inspired by my math teacher.
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think I'd use it JUST for math.  I'd tie in history as well and try to visit a historical site, not a site where I'm likely to run into surviving relatives who would hear me and my kids doing it.

It sounds like the one you picked had historical signifigance and you weren't going over new graves and risking upsetting living relatives.

Many of the historical graveyards I've seen DO have "fun" built into them.  They don't want the graves forgotten, or the history there to stop being preserved.  They don't have carnival rides and cotton candy, but they have maps to graves of historical figures, or explanations that many of the people who died during X years were killed by war, a drought, or a disease.  It's a way to help these people be remembered long after their ancestors have forgotten who they were.

coala
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I'm not exactly sure how I feel about going to a random cemetary, but if it were our family cemetary maybe I would.  I would throw some history and geneology into as ours goes back to the 1700's.

lovepotato
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

My husband named our daughter Annie before I even got a good look at her. I wanted her to be Ellie, lol. Annie definitely fits her though.

Quoting AnnieGoolaheey:

No loll. My sn is from a movie. I love the name Annie though. I wish my husband liked it. I would love to name a little girl Annie.

Quoting paganbaby:

Ot. Forgive me if I've already asked you but is your real name Annie? It's so rare for me to find another one,lol.

Quoting AnnieGoolaheey:

Sure.

Lynette
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:38 AM
When I was a girl I used to enjoy going to the graveyard. I found one of a girl my age that didn't look like she had visitors, her name was Karen. I used to go visit her and tell her all about my life. I named my diary Karen and would confide all my secrets in her. I still feel a bond to that girl, even though I only know her from those quiet days.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:48 AM

The elementary school I went to sat next to a huge old graveyard. They'd take us over there to do graverubbings and history lessons. LOL I was always taught to walk at the end of the row and not on the actual graves.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Were the graves there when you moved in? And how do you teach math with legos and k'nex? I'm always open to new ideas!

Quoting jen2150:

I have two graves on my property. I don't find it creepy. I think as long as you are respectful while visiting the graves I don't seen a problem. I liked to use legos to teach math. I am also using k'nex to teach geometry

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:17 AM

That's exactly what my mom said,lol.

Quoting Leissaintexas:

I would. My dd and I are history nerds so we do that a lot. They're dead, they don't care.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Love it! Shows him real world application!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:18 AM

*Off to Netflix*

Quoting AnnieGoolaheey:

LOL.  Overboard is tha name of the movie..

Quoting paganbaby:

Which move is that? And your dh is a brat,lol. Annie is an awesome name ;-)

Quoting AnnieGoolaheey:

No loll. My sn is from a movie. I love the name Annie though. I wish my husband liked it. I would love to name a little girl Annie.

Quoting paganbaby:

Ot. Forgive me if I've already asked you but is your real name Annie? It's so rare for me to find another one,lol.

Quoting AnnieGoolaheey:

Sure.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN