Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Poll

Question: Would you ever take your kids to a graveyard for school?

Options:

I would. It sounds like fun.

I wouldn't. I find it to be disrespectful.

I don't think it's disrespectful but I wouldn't go.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 50

View Results

8 yo ds has been struggling with subtraction. He knows how to do it, he just doesn't want to. So here I am racking my brains trying to figure out a fun way for him to do math. Then last week as I was passing the cemetery, it hit me!

Out of habit, I mentally subtract the birthday from the death day to figure out how old the person was. *Light bulb* I peddled home and asked ds how would he like to go to the graveyard and do some math? He was all for it. So yesterday we spent the day roaming around the graveyard, figuring out how old everyone was. The oldest grave we found dated March 18th 1860 to December 22 1860.

My Mil of course got wind of it (Facebook) and told me how disrespectful it was for us to to go traipsing over people's graves. She said it was a place for mourning and remembering, not a fun house. *Wet blanket*

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Replies (71-75):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I would love to do that!

Quoting No_Difference:

We go to Harpers Ferry and Gettysburg a LOT and go through the graveyards for all sorts of classes. We did a graveyard scavanger hunt that Harpers Ferry sponsored... THere was a long conversation of being respectful, but you were supposed to go searching for certain tombstones.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Thanks!

Quoting jen2150:

Yes they are very old.

Here are some links. If you own k'nex you can find the teacher's manual online. I also found a book on amazon called math in motion which uses origami to teach math.

http://bestactivitiesforkids.com/lego-math/

http://www.amazon.com/KNEX-Education-Elementary-Math-Geometry/dp/B000O94QUM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383844983&sr=8-1&keywords=k%27nex+math

Quoting paganbaby:

Were the graves there when you moved in? And how do you teach math with legos and k'nex? I'm always open to new ideas!

Quoting jen2150:

I have two graves on my property. I don't find it creepy. I think as long as you are respectful while visiting the graves I don't seen a problem. I liked to use legos to teach math. I am also using k'nex to teach geometry

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Forest Lawn? I think I've passed that on my way to Universal Studios. I didn't know they did stuff like that over there. Awesome!

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

If you ever come to the Los Angeles area and want a neat field trip, look into the forest Lawn Memorial parks. They have GREAT art exhibits and have lots of educational seminars. We went to a couple that were "The Great Masters....they had actors dressed up as Da Vinci and Michaelangelo who talked like they were alive today. They talked about what life "is" like and what things they loved back in their time.

We also went to one that was Abraham Lincoln.

We go almost every year to the Crucifiction painting at Forest Lawn Glendale.

See EVENTS

They don't have any educational seminars at the moment but the permanent art gallieries are incredible.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh no, nothing like that. And you know if we had one close by I would have done the same thing as a teen,lol.

Quoting JTE11:

Unless you and your kids were running around and actually being disrespectful in some way, jumping on the stones or leaving trash or something, I think it's fine that you went there. I grew up next to a cemetery and spent lots of days there sitting amongst the stones and reading as a teen. It's a very peaceful place. Anyway I think using dates is a great way to do math.

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Galveston is an island in the Golf of Mexico in Texas.

Quoting paganbaby:

Oh that's lame :-/

Where's Galveston at?

Quoting usmom3:

Haha, I have wanted to do this with my children but the cemetery's around here are not friendly to that kind of visiting! If we can ever make it to Galveston for a vacation there is one there that is amazing to walk through!

Quoting paganbaby:

I like you,lol.

Quoting usmom3:

I think it sounds great! When I was young my sister & I would go to the cemetery & do the same thing just for the heck of it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN