Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Is anyone else ........ (OT)

Posted by   + Show Post

Having mysterious downloads pop up from Cafemom that you did not authorize? One is from a site called voicefive & the other is from a site called mono.vizu. I have blocked them from accessing my computers but was wondering if anyone else is having the same thing happen to them!

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Replies (11-15):
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I am throughly convinced that McAfee caused my laptop to crash and burn, to the point it doesn't turn on anymore. The same thing is starting to happen to the desktop. Every time it was always some portion of McAfee would duplicate itself in the task manager and suddenly the computer would just go nuts. Black out, monitor flash, and then lock up. Always had to do a hard shut down to prevent it and/or stop it. Clearly someone/something had gotten in...which, isn't that what McAfee is supposed to be stopping??? Ugh. It's gone now tho... So far, the new program is working great, but I've only had it for 3 days. We also have SpyBot and MalawareBytes as double and triple back up. If one program doesn't scan well or at all for one sort of issue, there is at least one to cover it. Whenever the computer would start freaking out, those two program seemed not to be able to open let alone run...

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting No_Difference:

YES!!! I started freaking out too because I have been having horrible computer problems lately when we had McAfee and so we got rid of it  entirely and downloaded new anti-virus software and then this started happening. I started scanning my computer every time it happened. It hasn't happened today...yet...

We have never had good luck with McAfee! I scan my computers every time we turn them on just as a precaution!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 7, 2013 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah we have not used McAfee in years because it messed up the computers. SpyBot & MalawareBytes both great!

Quoting No_Difference:

I am throughly convinced that McAfee caused my laptop to crash and burn, to the point it doesn't turn on anymore. The same thing is starting to happen to the desktop. Every time it was always some portion of McAfee would duplicate itself in the task manager and suddenly the computer would just go nuts. Black out, monitor flash, and then lock up. Always had to do a hard shut down to prevent it and/or stop it. Clearly someone/something had gotten in...which, isn't that what McAfee is supposed to be stopping??? Ugh. It's gone now tho... So far, the new program is working great, but I've only had it for 3 days. We also have SpyBot and MalawareBytes as double and triple back up. If one program doesn't scan well or at all for one sort of issue, there is at least one to cover it. Whenever the computer would start freaking out, those two program seemed not to be able to open let alone run...

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting No_Difference:

YES!!! I started freaking out too because I have been having horrible computer problems lately when we had McAfee and so we got rid of it  entirely and downloaded new anti-virus software and then this started happening. I started scanning my computer every time it happened. It hasn't happened today...yet...

We have never had good luck with McAfee! I scan my computers every time we turn them on just as a precaution!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 7, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Yikes.
From my understanding those are tracking cookies. They are from ads or from someone who broke past the cm firewall and attached them to the login or a link or a button you push to like or reply. They just track your movements through the internet to find out info such as what you click on the most or what your best interested in. Some can even get more personal depending on who wants what kind of information.

Quoting usmom3:

I know it is CafeMom because when it started I was on here & Facebook, so I did a process of elimination & came up with it being CafeMom!

Quoting kirbymom:That happens a lot with other sites as well.

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 7, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Well that is not good! I sure hope the Cafemom People see this post & read it & fix the things that are letting them in!

Quoting kirbymom:

Yikes.
From my understanding those are tracking cookies. They are from ads or from someone who broke past the cm firewall and attached them to the login or a link or a button you push to like or reply. They just track your movements through the internet to find out info such as what you click on the most or what your best interested in. Some can even get more personal depending on who wants what kind of information.

Quoting usmom3:

I know it is CafeMom because when it started I was on here & Facebook, so I did a process of elimination & came up with it being CafeMom!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 7, 2013 at 6:45 PM
I hope I'm wrong and it is something innocent.

Quoting usmom3:

Well that is not good! I sure hope the Cafemom People see this post & read it & fix the things that are letting them in!

Quoting kirbymom:Yikes.From my understanding those are tracking cookies. They are from ads or from someone who broke past the cm firewall and attached them to the login or a link or a button you push to like or reply. They just track your movements through the internet to find out info such as what you click on the most or what your best interested in. Some can even get more personal depending on who wants what kind of information.
Quoting usmom3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)