Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Best Homeschooling Basics Book or Site

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 3:28 PM
  • 3 Replies

Hello All!  I am a homeschooling wannabe (more specifically, I want to start a homeschooling co-op).  I am absolutely new to this, and I'm looking for a book or website with all the basics - the different methods/styles (Montessori, Waldorf, CM, Classical, etc.), the different resources (programs and websites, etc.), logistics like lesson planning and coordinating with the state, and everything else that I am overlooking.

Know of any resources like that?

I am an attorney and have a compulsive need to research the heck out of everything before acting - doubly so when my kids are involved.

Other factors to note:

- Our religion will be separate from our school (since it will be an open and accepting co-op).

- I intend to create a multi-age, flexible curriculum.

- The co-op will have its own dedicated classroom.

Please point me to any book or website recommendations.  And if you know a book on homeschooling that's available as an audiobook, you will be my new best friend!

I'm a tree-hugging, breastfeeding, non-circing, vaxing, co-sleeping/bed-sharing, ethical eating, nearly vegan, home-birthing, Pagan, Unitarian Universalist, pro-choice, cloth diapering, Scorpio, feminist, half-Canadian, animal activist mommy to one clever little girl (11), the cutest little boy ever born (3), two mischevious rescue mutts (fixed), and an attention starved rescue kitty (also fixed).  Married to my own personal MacGyver.

Marine. Lawyer. Mommy. Wife. 
Making Sustainability Work in Busy, Everyday Life.
Urban Earthworm

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Nov. 7, 2013 at 6:12 AM
2 moms liked this

Finding One book or source that will explain all of this is impossible!

So get ready for a massive amount if research. You sound like you are up for the challenge! It took me 9 months to research. There are millions if websites as well. 

Your best bet is to go somewhere like Amazon.com and look up books on specific topics, read the reviews and pick that way.

I'd say if you are a complete novice, a good book to start with us "The Everything Homeschooling Book"

Also, look at the Secular homeschool forum for tons of info, reviews and articles.

http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/

jen2150
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 8:37 AM
2 moms liked this
I mostly just winged it. I learned as I went. I would do some Google searches and see what pops up. I started a local co-op.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:20 PM
As PurpleCupcake already stated, you are not going to find this information in just one place. I would suggest using 3 or 4 search engines to look for this info. By doing your research this way, this type of researching affords you diiferents search results and more independant published information. You might even try looking in your local library. Look up personal blogs on this topic. They will have not only the information but also how to go about setting up a co-op.

Good luck. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)