Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I've been thinking about next year for my daughter's 8th grade and my sons prek.  I'm horrible with piecing together things and keeping up the scheduling my daughter needs.  My son should be pretty easy, but my daughter, she is tough.  The first four years we started homeschooling we used a package curriculum, my daughter loved it.  She loved the schedule and knowing when and what she will be doing.  Well during the fourth grade year the curriculum let me down, let her down, and we started looking for pieces that we could do to make our curriculum.  Well fifth grade didn't go well, sixth grade was better, but still not working.  Again this year for seventh grade, things work but things don't.

Sonlight History - Sort of works

Sonlight readers with Lightning literature - Sort of works, maybe a little too much reading.

Mr Q's Advanced Chemistry - Did not work out

Great Science Adventures: Discovering Atoms, Molecules, and Matter - Works wonderfully

Essentials in Writing grade 7 - Sort of workds

Life of Fred Pre Algebra 1 and 2 with Lial's PreAlgebra - Did not work

Saxon 8/7 - Works wonderfully

Winston Grammar - Works

All About Spelling - Works

I'm just afraid to do this all over again next year and I have no idea what I would put in for History, Literature and composition, and Science.  Then having to schedule it out.  Then adding in my son's stuff.

I've looked at different things Calvert, Sonlight again (used secular), or Oakmeadow, just to make things more simple for me.  I just don't know anymore.

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Replies (11-15):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Is typing easier for her?  Writing is very hard for my sons.  The process is very taxing.  Sometimes they dictate and I write.  Many times we will take turns writing so they are able to practice without getting overworked.    I do my own science and history.  I also began using an online phyiscs program for middle school.  Simple homeschooling is the site.  It is awesome.  We also read books for science as well.  Sometimes it takes awhile to find what works.  Hope you found what you are looking for.  I am not that crafty either but I am creative.  I wish I had more artistic talent.  I just starting a writing program my boys actually love.  It only took about 7 years.  LOL  Best of luck.

Quoting Silverkitty:

Somethings we stick with, like the history, since it's sort of working.  Somethings we changed like Math and Science, since we had a little extra and I got a gift card that covered it completely.  Usually we have no choice but to stick with what doesn't work, which leads to frustration and arguing and trying to figure out how to make it work.

I'd love to have back up plans but at middle school I can't find things cheap that would work best for how my daughter learns.  She reads and is verbal for answers, writing for her is a chore.  She also learns by hands on, as long as it's creating, but I'm not crafty and I can't put together anything that would help my daughter, I've tried.

Quoting jen2150:

What do you do when it is not working? Do you stick it out or change gears? I suggest having a back up plan for everything. I use living books for history.

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I type up and print out schedules for the week.  It drives my daughter nuts when something unexpected happens.  Then I have to figure out where we are on the schedule to get her back in focus.

My daughter HATES research, writing, and coming up with an independant thought.  She fears getting things wrong.  Even if it's a paragraph about herself and she can't possibly get it wrong.

Quoting kirbymom:

How are you at typing up a schedule on the computer? I am writing our own school work. We use encyclopedic reference books, historical reference books, world reference books, old old school books, and I use a whiteboard to write down a daily, a weekly and a monthly schedule. Then I help whenever however I am needed.

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:09 PM

We do both typing and writing for answers on things that need to be written.  Much of our curriculum is discussion since it works better.

What writing program did you get?

Quoting jen2150:

Is typing easier for her?  Writing is very hard for my sons.  The process is very taxing.  Sometimes they dictate and I write.  Many times we will take turns writing so they are able to practice without getting overworked.    I do my own science and history.  I also began using an online phyiscs program for middle school.  Simple homeschooling is the site.  It is awesome.  We also read books for science as well.  Sometimes it takes awhile to find what works.  Hope you found what you are looking for.  I am not that crafty either but I am creative.  I wish I had more artistic talent.  I just starting a writing program my boys actually love.  It only took about 7 years.  LOL  Best of luck.

Quoting Silverkitty:

Somethings we stick with, like the history, since it's sort of working.  Somethings we changed like Math and Science, since we had a little extra and I got a gift card that covered it completely.  Usually we have no choice but to stick with what doesn't work, which leads to frustration and arguing and trying to figure out how to make it work.

I'd love to have back up plans but at middle school I can't find things cheap that would work best for how my daughter learns.  She reads and is verbal for answers, writing for her is a chore.  She also learns by hands on, as long as it's creating, but I'm not crafty and I can't put together anything that would help my daughter, I've tried.

Quoting jen2150:

What do you do when it is not working? Do you stick it out or change gears? I suggest having a back up plan for everything. I use living books for history.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:24 PM
Oh I can empathize with you there. My oldest who is now 17, was exactly the same way when she was 8 and 9. I despaired of ever getting her to learn how to handle mistakes and how they were not the end of the world. It probably took me about 2 years to get there.

Quoting Silverkitty:

I type up and print out schedules for the week.  It drives my daughter nuts when something unexpected happens.  Then I have to figure out where we are on the schedule to get her back in focus.

My daughter HATES research, writing, and coming up with an independant thought.  She fears getting things wrong.  Even if it's a paragraph about herself and she can't possibly get it wrong.

Quoting kirbymom:How are you at typing up a schedule on the computer? I am writing our own school work. We use encyclopedic reference books, historical reference books, world reference books, old old school books, and I use a whiteboard to write down a daily, a weekly and a monthly schedule. Then I help whenever however I am needed.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 7:54 PM
Write shop

http://www.writeshop.com

Quoting Silverkitty:

We do both typing and writing for answers on things that need to be written.  Much of our curriculum is discussion since it works better.

What writing program did you get?

Quoting jen2150:

Quoting Silverkitty:

Quoting jen2150:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)