Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

hi Im new with a few questions

Posted by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 8:02 PM
  • 10 Replies

First I want to introduce myself. Im Tanisha mother of two little ones. My dd is turning three on the 20th and I recently gave birth to my three month old ds. Im currently doing a basic structured play with my dd until I start our kindergarten curriculum when shes 4.I wanted to drop in with a question concerning her pronounciations. For one thing she is not speaking in complete sentences yet. She says hi mommy, hi daddy, I cant do it, I did it, look mommy, I pee pee mommy, and thats about it. Ironically she does have a very extensive vocabulary. She knows all her letters, coumts to twenty, knows all her colors, all her shapes including star, pentagon, hexagon, and etc, her farm animals and some wild, like lion, tiger, zebra, bird, frog, snake,elephant etc. she knows quite a few house items, we're currently working on letters and numbers in sign language, I honestly feel shes flourishing very well however her pronounciations bothers me. Some examples are orange =orige ,    black =back,      four=bore,      yellow=rello, juice =jew and others. A lot of times it sounds like she pronounces the beginning and end of the word. Me and her father are able to understand a lot of what she says. When with others they are able to understand what she says when she points to it. She is not saying her name either when asked. she will tell us her age but not others. She still does a whole lot of babbling as if shes caring on a conversation with herself. Does anyone have any suggestions or games for improving these things? Is this typical for her age? Im also trying to get her to understand the difference between yes and no she says no to everything but juice lol juice she'll nod to or say ye or yeah but never completely pronounces the word yes.

by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 8:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 7, 2013 at 9:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Everything you are concerned about is normal for that age! If you make sure you speak clearly when speaking all the time she will pick it up with out having to do any special lessons!

abuckalew
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 9:32 PM
I agree. My dd will be 3 on the 16th and is the exact same way.

Quoting usmom3:

Everything you are concerned about is normal for that age! If you make sure you speak clearly when speaking all the time she will pick it up with out having to do any special lessons!

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Have her try to repeat full sentences back to you.  I do not know if it is typical.  All my children spoke in 3 to 4 word sentences by 2.

When my children do speak incorrectly, I have them repeat stuff back to me after I say it correctly but if they still get it wrong and I know they are having issues I do not push it as I do not want them to feel stupid.  My 6 year old has a problem saying astronomy.  Everytime she says it wrong I make her say it again after me.  And my current 3 year old has to say sentences over when she choose not to use sentences. 

She has been talking in 2 word sentences to me since she was 7 months.  But she only started talking to others at 2.  But I will say she does not know her colors, or shapes at all.  So she is probably just advanced in speech and nothing else.  It helps that she has 2 older sisters and an older brother.

tanishagreene
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:01 PM

oh ok thank u. I belong to babycenters community groups and a lot of women there talk as if their kids are carrying on conversations at this age

Quoting usmom3:

tanishagreene
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:02 PM

oh awesome this is reassuring. I guess sometimes I get to consumed in how tall she is she can go for age four so I guess I expect her to be that way as well

Quoting abuckalew:

Quoting usmom3:

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Realize that every child is different, maybe their children are doing that but that dose not mean your child is behind in any way!

Quoting tanishagreene:

oh ok thank u. I belong to babycenters community groups and a lot of women there talk as if their kids are carrying on conversations at this age

Quoting usmom3:

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:29 PM

It can be hard when others judge and I hope you were not upset by my answer.  Just keep talking with her and she will eventually pick it up.  My son did not talk at all till 2 then one day was talking in 2 to 3 word sentences.  Oh and if she is gifted she can talk later for many reasons, including making up her own language.  Not saying she is gifted but I have read about it.

Quoting tanishagreene:

oh awesome this is reassuring. I guess sometimes I get to consumed in how tall she is she can go for age four so I guess I expect her to be that way as well

Quoting abuckalew:

Quoting usmom3:

jakana2369
by Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 2:12 AM
I would have her say it back to you speaking not sign. We are bilingual in ASL and my middle dd was having the same but I would sign to her but not have her do it back to me. It might help. Also have her look at your mouth when you say words so she can see how to move hers.

She is 10 now speaks and signs great! Sometimes signs more then talk but she can say everything correctly.

Hope it helps.
PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Nov. 8, 2013 at 6:40 AM

That is somewhat normal, but I would have her evaluated to see if she needs speech therapy.

Remember that her teeth and mouth are still growing so it may be hard for her to pronounce words.

I would work on letter sounds, sight words, dolcsh words and absolutely no baby talk in the house. 

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Early ed teacher chiming in here. ;)

The saying 'no' to everything is very normal.

It does sound like you might want to  have her evaluated just to be safe, however. It's possible there is a hearing issue that's not been properly diagnosed, or at the very least, more you can be doing with her to help her enunciate properly. In many communities, evaluations are free. I am not sure how it works where you live. Here, after age 3 you would call your local school corporation's Early Intervention Services office to schedule the evaluation. It's done by two different therapists (such as one speech, one occupational, or one speech & one physical - they always have two even if you only have concern about one area of development). Here, the evals are done in your home and it's like a play time for your child, not stressful. Then later they give you their findings - they may say, there is nothing wrong, her development is completely on par. Or, they may say she is behind in this or that, and then suggest therapy or at least suggest ways you might work with her. If your local school district can't help you, I'd suggest asking your pediatrician, or ask in your community (if you don't know anyone in person to ask, find local message boards) for how to get the evaluation done. I've known many parents who have had their children evaluated just for peace of mind, and often there is no delay. My son had a speech delay and received hearing tests, speech therapy, and ultimately surgery for his hearing, and his speech caught right up. It would never have improved if I'd not gotten him evaluated.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)