Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Different Styles.

Posted by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:10 PM
  • 33 Replies
Are your teachimg styles different than your child(ren's) learns styles? If so, how different and does it create any road blocks that have to be driven over carefully?

undefined

by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this

My oldest would be a great unschooler, but the rest of the kids and I thrive on book work.  I make her do book work but I also give her lots of free learning time so she can learn at her own pace.

DyslexiaParent
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I had to be very purposeful about researching and using programs that would match my youngest's learning style.  It didn't create any major roadblocks given that we were aware of our differences and as long as I was conscious of needing to meet different learning needs. 

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this

My ds and I are both visual and kinestetic learners, but my dd seems to do well with auditory learning. I probably didn't do her any favors when she was young by not realizign this and not structuring school for her needs. Now that she is older and can pick and choose what works for her and learn independently, school seems to go much easier for her.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:53 PM
1 mom liked this

When it comes to history and science, my daughter and I are 100% different in how we learn, and I have a hard time teaching differently than I learn so it has caused many issues. I'm not sure how Little Man is going to turn when he gets to the point of actually reading to learn.

I am the type of person that can sit down and pop out a research paper in no time, and actually enjoy reseraching, and I learn so much and absorb so much when I research stuff. I also elarn by creating or drawing things. Jamie learns through creating, but only if she has comprehended what she learned first, and she has horrible reading comprehension which has put a road block up big time in the history department. And writing is just as far out of her grasp as reading is.

With science, she can seamlessly relate it to real life and her comprehension soars, where I struggle with sciecne. She doesn't have to see a science concept in person to know that it works, how it works, and why it works and the more numbers and formulas the better. My brain does not work that way...For science, I need a thorough teachers manual at this point. I also need to find something that is really advanced science but has easy reading...

Precious333
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:57 PM
2 moms liked this
I try and have a variety and we all work together as a family. Meaning, i bring in visuals, music, reading, writting/drawing, objects, movement....to our lessons.
NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 7:47 AM
1 mom liked this

My teaching style changes and evolves as my kids' learning styles do.  Otherwise, I see no productive learning happening here.  That's why I love homeschooling - a one-size-fits-all teaching style like schools have isn't ideal for most kids.  I'm not a teacher by craft, so any teaching style that I have was created and formed by my kids.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:53 AM
Is it difficult to be different than your natural instincts go?

Quoting debramommyof4:

My oldest would be a great unschooler, but the rest of the kids and I thrive on book work.  I make her do book work but I also give her lots of free learning time so she can learn at her own pace.

undefined

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:55 AM
How different are your styles?

Quoting DyslexiaParent:

I had to be very purposeful about researching and using programs that would match my youngest's learning style.  It didn't create any major roadblocks given that we were aware of our differences and as long as I was conscious of needing to meet different learning needs. 

undefined

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:59 AM
I went through a similar experience with my middle son. Now he is older he is more responsible with knowing what he needs to do along with what he wants to do. Makes for less frustrations too. :)

Quoting Leissaintexas:

My ds and I are both visual and kinestetic learners, but my dd seems to do well with auditory learning. I probably didn't do her any favors when she was young by not realizign this and not structuring school for her needs. Now that she is older and can pick and choose what works for her and learn independently, school seems to go much easier for her.

undefined

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like your daughter has an analytical mind and you have an artistic mind. My oldest daughter is more analytical but has definite leanings towards being artistic too. She makes me so proud and jealous too, at the same time.I am not the same way at all. Lol

Quoting No_Difference:

When it comes to history and science, my daughter and I are 100% different in how we learn, and I have a hard time teaching differently than I learn so it has caused many issues. I'm not sure how Little Man is going to turn when he gets to the point of actually reading to learn. I am the type of person that can sit down and pop out a research paper in no time, and actually enjoy reseraching, and I learn so much and absorb so much when I research stuff. I also elarn by creating or drawing things. Jamie learns through creating, but only if she has comprehended what she learned first, and she has horrible reading comprehension which has put a road block up big time in the history department. And writing is just as far out of her grasp as reading is.With science, she can seamlessly relate it to real life and her comprehension soars, where I struggle with sciecne. She doesn't have to see a science concept in person to know that it works, how it works, and why it works and the more numbers and formulas the better. My brain does not work that way...For science, I need a thorough teachers manual at this point. I also need to find something that is really advanced science but has easy reading...

undefined

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)