Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are your teachimg styles different than your child(ren's) learns styles? If so, how different and does it create any road blocks that have to be driven over carefully?

undefined

by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Replies (31-33):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this

It can be exhausting, but it makes me think they might just remember it when we cover it later in high school.  I'm aiming for that so we can go much deeper with the topics when we cover them again later.

Quoting kirbymom:

That is so exciting and exhausting at the same time! And... such an awesome job too. I love it when our kids soak up the learning so much that they know it months later.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Each of my three boys has a different learning style. I can teach in any style they need. But every once in a while I have to teach the same lesson with 3 different activities that I know will reach each of the kids in their own best place.  So I'll need to find a book that addresses it with plenty of diagrams and pictures with labels; I'll need to find a video online that explains it all, and I'll need to find something to build that does a good job of replicating what is going on.  When we talked about the vikings I found a book all about Viking warriors, a netflix video about making Viking Swords, and we built a Viking ship in the living room and fought the natives in Normandy.  LOL.  The Vikings took forever to cover, but they still talk about it to the Grandparents.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:48 PM
Ha! At this rate, they will remember it when they are 30 and have kids of their own. :)
That .. is one of the major reasons I choose homeschooling my kids. I want them to walk down memory lane and live and laugh with fondness over their memories. :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

It can be exhausting, but it makes me think they might just remember it when we cover it later in high school.  I'm aiming for that so we can go much deeper with the topics when we cover them again later.

Quoting kirbymom:That is so exciting and exhausting at the same time! And... such an awesome job too. I love it when our kids soak up the learning so much that they know it months later.
Quoting bluerooffarm:

Each of my three boys has a different learning style. I can teach in any style they need. But every once in a while I have to teach the same lesson with 3 different activities that I know will reach each of the kids in their own best place.  So I'll need to find a book that addresses it with plenty of diagrams and pictures with labels; I'll need to find a video online that explains it all, and I'll need to find something to build that does a good job of replicating what is going on.  When we talked about the vikings I found a book all about Viking warriors, a netflix video about making Viking Swords, and we built a Viking ship in the living room and fought the natives in Normandy.  LOL.  The Vikings took forever to cover, but they still talk about it to the Grandparents.

DyslexiaParent
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Thanks so much.  I have to say though--I'm much more than "a step ahead." I earned my Master's Degree in Instructional Design where I focused on Universal Design for Learning and Learning Styles, and I'm trained in Multi-sensory teaching, all of which I have used extensively for remediating learning disabilities. ;-)

Quoting kirbymom:

This is interesting. Not too many kknow that there are different learning styles until they are in the midst of a struggle. You are already a step ahead. Good job. :)

Quoting DyslexiaParent:

I'm very auditory-visual and he's kinesthetic/tactile.. It's a little bit difficult to figure out how to DO everything.  Using a chart of kinesthetic learning activities helped me get ideas about how to transform ordinary lessons into hands-on lessons, but it always takes purposeful effort.  Conversely, my oldest was a visual learner too, so I could just do what came naturally to me. ;-)

Quoting kirbymom:How different are your styles?

Quoting DyslexiaParent:

I had to be very purposeful about researching and using programs that would match my youngest's learning style.  It didn't create any major roadblocks given that we were aware of our differences and as long as I was conscious of needing to meet different learning needs. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)