Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
Are your teachimg styles different than your child(ren's) learns styles? If so, how different and does it create any road blocks that have to be driven over carefully?

undefined

by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Replies (11-20):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:09 AM
Does everyone learn the same way you teach, then?

Quoting Precious333:

I try and have a variety and we all work together as a family. Meaning, i bring in visuals, music, reading, writting/drawing, objects, movement....to our lessons.

undefined

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Oh yes! This is me to a tee. I have grown and changed based on this. A lot. For the better too, I would think.

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

My teaching style changes and evolves as my kids' learning styles do.  Otherwise, I see no productive learning happening here.  That's why I love homeschooling - a one-size-fits-all teaching style like schools have isn't ideal for most kids.  I'm not a teacher by craft, so any teaching style that I have was created and formed by my kids.

TidewaterClan
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm a visual learner, but both of my girls seem to lean towards auditory.  We do a lot of talking during the day about our math, reading, social studies, etc., and that (so far!) seems to balance things for all of us.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this
You know, I used tone the same way when I was little. Parenting and the necessities of life have changed that somewhat. Okay A lot. Lol

Quoting TidewaterClan:

I'm a visual learner, but both of my girls seem to lean towards auditory.  We do a lot of talking during the day about our math, reading, social studies, etc., and that (so far!) seems to balance things for all of us.

undefined

TidewaterClan
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Lol, they're very sensitive to tone!  It took me a few weeks to figure out when one of them wanted to read (or have me read) the textbook out loud it wasn't because they didn't feel like sitting quietly and reading.  :)

Quoting kirbymom:

You know, I used tone the same way when I was little. Parenting and the necessities of life have changed that somewhat. Okay A lot. Lol

Quoting TidewaterClan:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Ha! So are my kids. Good to know we aren't the only ones.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Lol, they're very sensitive to tone!  It took me a few weeks to figure out when one of them wanted to read (or have me read) the textbook out loud it wasn't because they didn't feel like sitting quietly and reading.  :)

Quoting kirbymom:You know, I used tone the same way when I was little. Parenting and the necessities of life have changed that somewhat. Okay A lot. Lol

Quoting TidewaterClan:

coala
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I have one that I can teach very easily, but she is my bio child and learns like I do.  My oldest (adopted) I find it much more complicated to teach her.  She gets down on herself to easily and doesn't take constructive criticism well at all.  I have to have my SO step and teach her when I can't get through.  We find this with her coaches as well....for some reason they can't get through but my SO can.  We have to find a way around this.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 8, 2013 at 10:41 AM
This can be tough. I go through this on occasion myself. Hope it gets better for you. If you happen to, let me in on the secret though, okay?! lol

Quoting coala:

I have one that I can teach very easily, but she is my bio child and learns like I do.  My oldest (adopted) I find it much more complicated to teach her.  She gets down on herself to easily and doesn't take constructive criticism well at all.  I have to have my SO step and teach her when I can't get through.  We find this with her coaches as well....for some reason they can't get through but my SO can.  We have to find a way around this.

Precious333
by Julia on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this
They all have different personalities and lean toward a differen learning style, but i think its great to incorporate all types so they can grow in their weaker areas and continue to strengthen their strengths :)

Quoting kirbymom:

Does everyone learn the same way you teach, then?

Quoting Precious333:

I try and have a variety and we all work together as a family. Meaning, i bring in visuals, music, reading, writting/drawing, objects, movement....to our lessons.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this
It can be. But I think adding in that bit of book work helps me. She learns so much from everything that I do not have to worry so much. I always wonder if I am doing enough but then people give me looks because of her vocabulary or because she knows something and I am like ok, maybe I am doing something right.

Quoting kirbymom:

Is it difficult to be different than your natural instincts go?

Quoting debramommyof4:

My oldest would be a great unschooler, but the rest of the kids and I thrive on book work.  I make her do book work but I also give her lots of free learning time so she can learn at her own pace.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN