Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
Are your teachimg styles different than your child(ren's) learns styles? If so, how different and does it create any road blocks that have to be driven over carefully?

undefined

by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Replies (21-30):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Each of my three boys has a different learning style. I can teach in any style they need. But every once in a while I have to teach the same lesson with 3 different activities that I know will reach each of the kids in their own best place.  So I'll need to find a book that addresses it with plenty of diagrams and pictures with labels; I'll need to find a video online that explains it all, and I'll need to find something to build that does a good job of replicating what is going on.  When we talked about the vikings I found a book all about Viking warriors, a netflix video about making Viking Swords, and we built a Viking ship in the living room and fought the natives in Normandy.  LOL.  The Vikings took forever to cover, but they still talk about it to the Grandparents.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:29 PM
1 mom liked this
My teaching style has slowly evolved to fit their learning style. I started out very traditional and my kids have turned me into an unschooler. They helped me learn so much more than I could ever have dreamed that I would teach them.
DyslexiaParent
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 2:15 PM

I'm very auditory-visual and he's kinesthetic/tactile.. It's a little bit difficult to figure out how to DO everything.  Using a chart of kinesthetic learning activities helped me get ideas about how to transform ordinary lessons into hands-on lessons, but it always takes purposeful effort.  Conversely, my oldest was a visual learner too, so I could just do what came naturally to me. ;-)

Quoting kirbymom:

How different are your styles?

Quoting DyslexiaParent:

I had to be very purposeful about researching and using programs that would match my youngest's learning style.  It didn't create any major roadblocks given that we were aware of our differences and as long as I was conscious of needing to meet different learning needs. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 9, 2013 at 9:58 PM
This is interesting. Not too many kknow that there are different learning styles until they are in the midst of a struggle. You are already a step ahead. Good job. :)

Quoting DyslexiaParent:

I'm very auditory-visual and he's kinesthetic/tactile.. It's a little bit difficult to figure out how to DO everything.  Using a chart of kinesthetic learning activities helped me get ideas about how to transform ordinary lessons into hands-on lessons, but it always takes purposeful effort.  Conversely, my oldest was a visual learner too, so I could just do what came naturally to me. ;-)

Quoting kirbymom:How different are your styles?

Quoting DyslexiaParent:

I had to be very purposeful about researching and using programs that would match my youngest's learning style.  It didn't create any major roadblocks given that we were aware of our differences and as long as I was conscious of needing to meet different learning needs. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 9, 2013 at 10:02 PM
I cimpletely agree. :)

quote name="Precious333" id="0"]They all have different personalities and lean toward a differen learning style, but i think its great to incorporate all types so they can grow in their weaker areas and continue to strengthen their strengths :)

Quoting kirbymom:Does everyone learn the same way you teach, then?

Quoting Precious333:I try and have a variety and we all work together as a family. Meaning, i bring in visuals, music, reading, writting/drawing, objects, movement....to our lessons.[/quote][/quote]
[/quote]
kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 9, 2013 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep. I am with you there. I still feel like that on occasion. :)

Quoting debramommyof4:

It can be. But I think adding in that bit of book work helps me. She learns so much from everything that I do not have to worry so much. I always wonder if I am doing enough but then people give me looks because of her vocabulary or because she knows something and I am like ok, maybe I am doing something right.

Quoting kirbymom:Is it difficult to be different than your natural instincts go?

Quoting debramommyof4:

My oldest would be a great unschooler, but the rest of the kids and I thrive on book work.  I make her do book work but I also give her lots of free learning time so she can learn at her own pace.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 9, 2013 at 10:31 PM
That is so exciting and exhausting at the same time! And... such an awesome job too. I love it when our kids soak up the learning so much that they know it months later.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Each of my three boys has a different learning style. I can teach in any style they need. But every once in a while I have to teach the same lesson with 3 different activities that I know will reach each of the kids in their own best place.  So I'll need to find a book that addresses it with plenty of diagrams and pictures with labels; I'll need to find a video online that explains it all, and I'll need to find something to build that does a good job of replicating what is going on.  When we talked about the vikings I found a book all about Viking warriors, a netflix video about making Viking Swords, and we built a Viking ship in the living room and fought the natives in Normandy.  LOL.  The Vikings took forever to cover, but they still talk about it to the Grandparents.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 9, 2013 at 10:36 PM
I couldn't begin to count how much my kids have taught me compared to how much I have taught them.

Quoting jen2150:

My teaching style has slowly evolved to fit their learning style. I started out very traditional and my kids have turned me into an unschooler. They helped me learn so much more than I could ever have dreamed that I would teach them.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this

I try to teach to the "whole brain" I guess... although I really never had heard this put this way until recently.   We combine techniques to learn and to teach.   Honestly, I'm the type of teacher that if they aren't responding, then I find how to engage them.  I may not be the most organized person, and we slip up sometimes, but actually watching them learn is amazing and we have no problems stopping things in mid stream and trying it a different way.

I don't really know what my teaching style is.   I didn't really think there WAS a teaching style as much as a learning style.   Because THEY are the reason we teach, right?   I mean, what's the point of teaching out loud if your child doesn't make sense of auditory learning?

But we combine them all in our day so that we reach them.   I think they learn best that way.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 10, 2013 at 5:34 PM
I guess the way we teach is a combination of how we learn plus life's experiences to broaden that learning style into something a bit different. Thus a different learning style from a teaching.style.
Besides which, no two people learn alike or understand alike or even teach alike. I remember some of my teachers from school definitely taught completely different. Some were so totally foreign to me that I couldn't understand anything they taught. Then I had a few that were the most awesome teachers in the world. lol
That being said, I know that we sometimes do not have exact carbon copies of ourselves when we have kids.

Quoting KrissyKC:

I try to teach to the "whole brain" I guess... although I really never had heard this put this way until recently.   We combine techniques to learn and to teach.   Honestly, I'm the type of teacher that if they aren't responding, then I find how to engage them.  I may not be the most organized person, and we slip up sometimes, but actually watching them learn is amazing and we have no problems stopping things in mid stream and trying it a different way.

I don't really know what my teaching style is.   I didn't really think there WAS a teaching style as much as a learning style.   Because THEY are the reason we teach, right?   I mean, what's the point of teaching out loud if your child doesn't make sense of auditory learning?

But we combine them all in our day so that we reach them.   I think they learn best that way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)