Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Cursive writing, or not?

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:07 AM
  • 12 Replies

Poll

Question: Cursive Writing:

Options:

Yes, I have taught or will teach cursive writing

No, I did not teach or will not teach cursive writing

I will, or have, taught them to write their name in cursive...that's about it!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 26

View Results

by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TidewaterClan
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:18 AM
2 moms liked this

My youngest (3rd grade) is very excited about learning cursive.  My oldest, in 6th, had wonderful handwriting until last year.  The ps teacher rushed everything and her handwriting suffered because of it.  They're using a big chalkboard, making huge loopy swirls and dips, and really enjoying it.

Two huge reasons for cursive, at my house, are to develop the areas of the brain that cursive embraces, and to read all of those beautifully written historic documents our country has created.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:33 AM
3 moms liked this
Yes! I think it is definitely important to teach. It has been shown that teaching cursive helps the brain create new pathways to other parts of the brain that helps them learn.
kmath
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Cursive can be easier to learn for some kids as well.  DS does so much better with cursive than he does with print.  I think it is still an important skill to learn.

coala
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 10:33 AM
4 moms liked this

I think it is of the utmost importance to learn cursive.  Not just to sign their names, but to be able to read the documents that this country was founded on.  They are all written in cursive...that is what they wrote in those days.  I think it is a beautiful artform that is being lost as schools no longer feel the need to teach it.

Outrageous
by Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with all of the above! My third grader, 8, is currently learning... he is at letter "I" now but can connect small letters from a-h properly and they're legible. (Words like each, had, face, etc... with all the letters he has learned so far...)
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 5:18 PM
4 moms liked this

IMO cursvie is very important.  It helps to make some of the beginning connections in the brains that are then used when the brain needs to decipher details and big pictures.  These connections can, of course, be learned other ways, but cursive writing is one of the easiest and most intuitive ways to get those connections started.

Bleacher-mom
by Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:39 PM
DS is 9 and we were going to learn it this year, but he really wanted to learn typing. We don't really have time for both, so he is learning typing now and will learn cursive next year.
JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:56 PM

It's so EASY to teach cursive.  I've never understood the problem.  My six year old does cursive (although he still sometimes asks if he has certain captial letters rights), but 5 minutes a day -- literally -- works wonders if you then have him do spelling and writing in cursive.  It's the same with typing; a few minute every day works far better IMO than longer sessions less frequently.  And, yes, he prints, too. 

Precious333
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 12:05 AM
My kindergartener and 2ns grader are learning cursive :)
Grumpy.Cat
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 2:40 AM

If they find it useful to them to learn cursive, of course we'll teach them or find somethng that can. If not, no big.

Most people end up with a mixture of cursive and print as their default hand by young adulthood, even those who were never formally taught cursive. I never learned in school. I learned cursive at age 15 by finding cool fonts on the computer, printing out examples, and tracing them until I committed it to memory. My handwriting is beautiful, functional, and I learned it happily and because I wanted to :) Not because someone made me, or because it was a point of pride to a parent or teacher that I learned a "dying art."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)