Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why did you choose homeschooling?

Posted by   + Show Post

Why did you choose homeschooling versus going the traditional school route for your child?  

by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Replies (21-30):
Momof697
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 8:22 PM

I have my own personal reasons My Husband has his. Mine are : the top 1 is I feel God called me to do it. I felt that way before We had our first Daughter. (he already had a son that lived with DS's mom)    above that I did not like the fact they would be on the bus for 2 hrs a day (for a total of 8-9 hrs at school or on the bus) with high schoolers, I did not like what the school taught or rather in some case does not teach. I like my kids and want them with me. 

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Nov. 10, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Ours has been an interesting road - we homeschooled, then it was private, public and back to homeschool.  Long story short - for my youngest and middle child, I homeschool for health reasons.  For my oldest, he has had trouble with bullies and was crying at the thought of going back to school.  I tried going through all the channels at the school, and it was blown off. He's home, happy and thriving now.

amanda.lyn
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:37 PM
My son did two miserable years of public school. Every single day was a battle. He didn't want to go,and clearly they didn't want him there. I started by enrolling him in a correspondence school, then moved on to full home schooling. It was 100% the right choice!
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Bad public school experience when my oldest was in kinder
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Presley77
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 3:46 AM
1. I distrust public schools

2. I don't like the idea of them teaching my child how to think of the world and what to believe

3. Govt run anything cannot be trusted

4. We vax differently due to medical reasons

5. Schools providing birth control and other meds and I feel that is my job only

6. Teaching in one style and homework for homeworks sake and testing that proves nothing

7. Common core

8. Propaganda being pushed in what they teach

9. Schools are full of crap I don't want my kid around day after day

10. Personal experience w public school

11. Too much focus on sports and a lack of arts

There's more but those are the ones that popped in my head first
Presley77
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 3:48 AM
Oh and my bestie is a teacher and in our schools here they want to diagnose every hyper child (who is still normal) with a disorder and drug them to behave.
Mweddle
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:28 PM

My daughter is a different learner and likes to learn through play and her teacher couldn't handle it.  My daughter was constantly put out in the hall or in other rooms without work.  I was constantly getting notes home and being pressured to up her meds.  She came home crying every day.  She got in trouble for being sleepy in the middle of the day at school. (needed a nap)  Got notes home for rubbing her eyes and sucking her thumb.  All of this pressure at age 6...

She is a much happier person and she is learning!  :)

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:34 PM

My sons school wasn't Meeting his needs and he wasn't learning how to properly socialize AT ALL.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Oh and my dd was doing really bad in school. No point pushing her through 4 years of high school to have her end up learning nothing.

suziejax
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Because our schools here stink to the max. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)