Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Long story short. I have 3 girls dd1(13yrs 8th grade) is doing great in ps. Dd2(10yrs 5th grade) is being bullied and hates school. Dd3 (9yrs and 4th grade) have learning disabilities and is getting left behind. She has autio/visual processing disorder and is dyslexic. She has an iep and goes with her special teacher everyday for 45 minutes with 4 other kids.

I am pulling the younger 2 and hsing after the holidays. School is out in about 3 weeks and it gives me time to figure out what I am doing.

I know my laws (in colorado). I just dont know where to start. I tried looking online and get over whelmed.

What do you all use/do. Online curriculum or something else? If so what? Any and all info would be great help.
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 12:03 AM
Replies (21-29):
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:53 AM

With my pulling out semester experience - Deschool those two for the rest of the year if your state laws will allow that. Let them pick something that they want to learn, and just go with that. Take it slow and make it fun. Granted, my daughter at the time was 1st grade so we did American Revolution (we were studying as if she were Felicity from American Girls), and Astronomy for Science. I used LessonPathways.com (which is free) for help in planning those lessons. We read together everyday to work on her reading. I got a Spectrum workbook for math and we just did a worksheet a day basically to keep up with math.
De-schooling like that really helps to lower tensions, and gets everyone used to being home and just get used to the idea of homeschooling. Plus, it gives you the opportunity to figure out your teaching style and their learning style, and the rest of the year to research the best curriculum that will fit both. I've been homeschooling for 3 years now, and to be honest, I'm still tweaking our curriculum to find that perfect fit...but I'm getting close :)

As far as what we're using and loving -
Write Shop & Wordsmith Apprentice, Math U See, & All About Spelling

LoriAlane8
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:39 PM
We use www.k12.com and love it. Check out the online options in Colorado.
jakana2369
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 1:08 AM
I have looked into this. Also colvert (sp ) thanks.

Quoting LoriAlane8:

We use www.k12.com and love it. Check out the online options in Colorado.

Bleacher-mom
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 2:18 AM
Start by reading SO YOUR THINKING ABOUT HOMESCHOOLING by LISA WHELCHEL. The book talks about the many different types of homeschooling. Once you've decided what type to do, then go from there. We do a combination of using work books for main subjects and then learning history in chronological order and science coincides with history. This way my kids can do history and science together.
jakana2369
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 4:41 PM
Thanks for the book. Going to get it tonight.

Quoting Bleacher-mom:

Start by reading SO YOUR THINKING ABOUT HOMESCHOOLING by LISA WHELCHEL. The book talks about the many different types of homeschooling. Once you've decided what type to do, then go from there. We do a combination of using work books for main subjects and then learning history in chronological order and science coincides with history. This way my kids can do history and science together.

craftyzenmom
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 7:40 PM

First thing I did when I pulled my three out 5 years ago was to give them a little test to see what kind of learners they are. It has helped SO much to know one is a logical spatial learner vs. an auditory etc... Really helps when I'm trying to do combo lessons with my twins who are polar opposites. We also read constantly. I do strictly novel units with journal responses for my Lang. Arts. I find they do better with spelling, grammar etc... when it's in context and "real" instead of stand alone worksheets. I find a book and then google lesson plans to go along with it. I can tailor each lesson plan as I want to by incorporating geography, history, art. We've done everything from The Lorax (5th grade) to Life of Pi (8th). With the Lorax we did a ton of science too... didn't cost me a dime, just the book from the library and some online ideas. 

Have Fun! and good luck...

jakana2369
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:03 PM
I never thought about having abook go with there writing. What test did you give them? Where did you find it?

Quoting craftyzenmom:

First thing I did when I pulled my three out 5 years ago was to give them a little test to see what kind of learners they are. It has helped SO much to know one is a logical spatial learner vs. an auditory etc... Really helps when I'm trying to do combo lessons with my twins who are polar opposites. We also read constantly. I do strictly novel units with journal responses for my Lang. Arts. I find they do better with spelling, grammar etc... when it's in context and "real" instead of stand alone worksheets. I find a book and then google lesson plans to go along with it. I can tailor each lesson plan as I want to by incorporating geography, history, art. We've done everything from The Lorax (5th grade) to Life of Pi (8th). With the Lorax we did a ton of science too... didn't cost me a dime, just the book from the library and some online ideas. 

Have Fun! and good luck...

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:27 PM

I hope things are going well for you. 8) The hardest part about starting homeschooling is the information overload. 8) Too much to think about, study, read up on, try. LOL

craftyzenmom
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:24 PM

They don't do "tests" per se but they do a lot of comprehension and responses to literature in their journals that show they are getting the point. Each one has a journal that their assignments go into, they do a lot of cutting and pasting since they like to type instead of handwrite. I usually do a few vocab assignments with selections from the book. For example, they will define several words and then write sentences using the words. Or they will write a paragraph using the words from the book. My boys always get really goofy using the words. Then they do a few questions about character development, theme, plot etc... They need to answer these with proper grammar and spelling which is how we cover those topics. You  can really do this with any level book, like I said we started the year with my 5th grader doing The Lorax. 

Doing it this way just really works for us since my kids really dislike worksheets and anthologies. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)