Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It's homework, it's not supossed to be fun.

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 12:21 PM
  • 32 Replies
10 moms liked this

Words of wisdom from my 8 year old,lol.

I was telling Bubba last night about his friend's mom at the Rec center who was struggling to make her son do his homework. The boy said, "I hate this!" "It's boring!" The mom responds, "It's homework, it's not supposed to be fun."
Bubba just looks at me and says, "If it's not fun then how is he supposed to learn??" "No one remembers boring things!"

Then at bedtime we were reading a book about cheetahs (His pick for science this week) The book said, the mama cheetah teaches her cubs everything they need to know to survive as adults. Bubba turns to me and says, "So she homeschools them?

You know, I guess she does,lol.

by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 12:36 PM
2 moms liked this

Well, she is right and your son is right.  It's just that the two are in such different situations that they don't understand each other.  I was terrified to homeschool the boys.  I had hoped to homeschool when they were young but I was concerned about the crazy extended family and what they thought and all that crap.  Then I sent oldest to school and homework was a freaking nightmare!  There was crying (both of us), cussing (me, at night when I was alone), there was screaming (both of us).  And there was a lot of lost trust:  he lost trust in me because I was being mean and making him do things that were ...stupid.  Homework in the younger grades is often busywork to condition kids that they will be doing an hour or more of homework every night.  Getting them in that mindset so to speak.  It is not supposed to be fun, it is supposed to ready them for the bigger homework they will have later.  It also is supposed to serve to making the parent "see" what they are doing in school and give extra practice in those math lessons.  None of that is fun.  So she is right.  But she doesn't know what anything else might look like.

Now, my kids don't do any homework.  I have enough time to get enough practice in during the lesson because I am only teaching 1-3 kids (not 20+).  Also the kids get much more say in what they are learning, they have more stake in it, so even the stuff they may have thought of as boring when they were in PS, they have fun with because they have some skin in the game.  The teacher in PS cannot possibly give the type of control I do.  She has way too many kids that would want to go in way too many directions!  So your son is right.  He will learn more the first time around because you are able to follow his lead more and he has more invested in it! 

That's an awesome exchange. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 12:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow!  Holy crap!  I don't know why I always write a novel...sorry!  :-)

PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Nov. 9, 2013 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this

sidesplittinglaughter

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Ahhh, I love him!!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Well, she is right and your son is right.  It's just that the two are in such different situations that they don't understand each other.  I was terrified to homeschool the boys.  I had hoped to homeschool when they were young but I was concerned about the crazy extended family and what they thought and all that crap.  Then I sent oldest to school and homework was a freaking nightmare!  There was crying (both of us), cussing (me, at night when I was alone), there was screaming (both of us).  And there was a lot of lost trust:  he lost trust in me because I was being mean and making him do things that were ...stupid.  Homework in the younger grades is often busywork to condition kids that they will be doing an hour or more of homework every night.  Getting them in that mindset so to speak.  It is not supposed to be fun, it is supposed to ready them for the bigger homework they will have later.  It also is supposed to serve to making the parent "see" what they are doing in school and give extra practice in those math lessons.  None of that is fun.  So she is right.  But she doesn't know what anything else might look like.

Now, my kids don't do any homework.  I have enough time to get enough practice in during the lesson because I am only teaching 1-3 kids (not 20+).  Also the kids get much more say in what they are learning, they have more stake in it, so even the stuff they may have thought of as boring when they were in PS, they have fun with because they have some skin in the game.  The teacher in PS cannot possibly give the type of control I do.  She has way too many kids that would want to go in way too many directions!  So your son is right.  He will learn more the first time around because you are able to follow his lead more and he has more invested in it! 

Oh absolutely! That sad thing is, he's doing terrible in school and desperately wants to homeschool. She stays at home but doesn't believe in homeschooling. She told him homeschooling isn't  fun because they don't have field trips.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 2:30 PM
1 mom liked this

He's a kick ass kid ;-) I can't wait to see what he's like when he's older,lol.

Quoting ablackdolphin:

Ahhh, I love him!!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Some one should let her know just how fun homeschool field trips are! But you can not change her mind she has to do that.

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Oh absolutely! That sad thing is, he's doing terrible in school and desperately wants to homeschool. She stays at home but doesn't believe in homeschooling. She told him homeschooling isn't  fun because they don't have field trips.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Oh my gosh, that is so bass ackwards!  We have FAR more field trips in our homeschool than they ever had in the PS. 

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I told my husband that this was said and my 7 year old looked up and said we are always on a field trip!  LOL!  While not always we do a lot of things that I claim as field trips.  She said going to the grocery store is a field trip I thought. 

The kids have to pick the least expensive for the most of what ever product we are getting.  I thought it was funny she thought that was a field trip.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Oh my gosh, that is so bass ackwards!  We have FAR more field trips in our homeschool than they ever had in the PS. 

jen2150
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 3:37 PM
2 moms liked this
I am with your son. He is very articulate. I love the cheetah story. She is definately one homeschooler I wouldn't want to mess with.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)