Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

It's homework, it's not supossed to be fun.

Posted by   + Show Post

Words of wisdom from my 8 year old,lol.

I was telling Bubba last night about his friend's mom at the Rec center who was struggling to make her son do his homework. The boy said, "I hate this!" "It's boring!" The mom responds, "It's homework, it's not supposed to be fun."
Bubba just looks at me and says, "If it's not fun then how is he supposed to learn??" "No one remembers boring things!"

Then at bedtime we were reading a book about cheetahs (His pick for science this week) The book said, the mama cheetah teaches her cubs everything they need to know to survive as adults. Bubba turns to me and says, "So she homeschools them?

You know, I guess she does,lol.

by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Replies (21-30):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:15 PM

You can say that again, LOL!

You know what's funny though? He only shows that side to our little family. To the rest of the world he's silly, awkward and really goofy. I'm having a devil of a time convincing my mom that there's a sharp mind tucked away in there.

Quoting jen2150:

I am with your son. He is very articulate. I love the cheetah story. She is definately one homeschooler I wouldn't want to mess with.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Of course! ;-)

And that's very true. He's 8, so most everything we do is fun. With 14yo dd, I try to do the same but there are some things I just have to be firmer with her on. If anyone knows a way to make algabra fun, please let me know! lol

As for feild trips, we do waay more than dd's school! This mom is just looking for excuses.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

You're both right. Of course, you knew I'd say that, lol!!!

Not everything in life is fun, some things have to be done, and I learned boring material too - but your son is a cutie and at THAT age, most things can be made at least bearable, if not downright fun.

ETA: She thinks homeschoolers don't go on field trips?! Insanity. DD's school is unique and does a ton of field trips, but the other brick and mortar schools she was in did, like, one or two a year - tops.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Thank you,lol.

Quoting Christie1952:

Awesome son you have their! Good job Mom!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I know, I never thought of it that way!

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

That is so cute!  Love that animals homeschool their kids/cubs/pups/etc!  That is the best thing I've heard in a while :)

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:23 PM

My thoughts too. And yes he is! He gets that from his dad :-)

Quoting kirbymom:

That is so awesomely cute and sad at the same time.
You have a logical thinker in that one. Good job sweety. :)

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:18 PM

With my daughter, math was good - not always fun, but tolerable. History was her nemesis. I finally stopped trying to make it fun (several hundred dollars later, trying different programs, and many gray hairs later for me - trying to make it "fun" by incorporating stupid crafts) and told her to suck it up.

Fun algebra? What are you using? If she has a tablet, Dragonbox is a fun supplement (it is NOT an entire course) - get the age 12+ one, not the one for younger kids (it's an app). If she likes to work on the computer, she would probably like Teaching Textbooks. Algebra requires a lot of patience on the teacher's end, which generally means you need to be proficient in it to teach it. It's one course that if I didn't study ahead and really, really, really get it before presenting it to my kiddo, I would outsource to an online program.

Quoting paganbaby:

Of course! ;-)

And that's very true. He's 8, so most everything we do is fun. With 14yo dd, I try to do the same but there are some things I just have to be firmer with her on. If anyone knows a way to make algabra fun, please let me know! lol

As for feild trips, we do waay more than dd's school! This mom is just looking for excuses.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Not everything in life is fun, some things have to be done, and I learned boring material too - but your son is a cutie and at THAT age, most things can be made at least bearable, if not downright fun.

ETA: She thinks homeschoolers don't go on field trips?! Insanity. DD's school is unique and does a ton of field trips, but the other brick and mortar schools she was in did, like, one or two a year - tops.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:32 PM
My sister is like that. She then turns around and says I judge her, which I do not.

I hope her son finds another way to get what he needs. It is so hard watching a child struggle and not be able to do anything.

Quoting paganbaby:

I've tried! But she's just set on not hs. Idk, I may have put her off because I told her we don't have a set curriculum. But I told her there's many different ways to doing it.

Quoting debramommyof4:

Some one should let her know just how fun homeschool field trips are! But you can not change her mind she has to do that.

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Well, she is right and your son is right.  It's just that the two are in such different situations that they don't understand each other.  I was terrified to homeschool the boys.  I had hoped to homeschool when they were young but I was concerned about the crazy extended family and what they thought and all that crap.  Then I sent oldest to school and homework was a freaking nightmare!  There was crying (both of us), cussing (me, at night when I was alone), there was screaming (both of us).  And there was a lot of lost trust:  he lost trust in me because I was being mean and making him do things that were ...stupid.  Homework in the younger grades is often busywork to condition kids that they will be doing an hour or more of homework every night.  Getting them in that mindset so to speak.  It is not supposed to be fun, it is supposed to ready them for the bigger homework they will have later.  It also is supposed to serve to making the parent "see" what they are doing in school and give extra practice in those math lessons.  None of that is fun.  So she is right.  But she doesn't know what anything else might look like.

Now, my kids don't do any homework.  I have enough time to get enough practice in during the lesson because I am only teaching 1-3 kids (not 20+).  Also the kids get much more say in what they are learning, they have more stake in it, so even the stuff they may have thought of as boring when they were in PS, they have fun with because they have some skin in the game.  The teacher in PS cannot possibly give the type of control I do.  She has way too many kids that would want to go in way too many directions!  So your son is right.  He will learn more the first time around because you are able to follow his lead more and he has more invested in it! 

That's an awesome exchange. 

Oh absolutely! That sad thing is, he's doing terrible in school and desperately wants to homeschool. She stays at home but doesn't believe in homeschooling. She told him homeschooling isn't  fun because they don't have field trips.

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 11, 2013 at 3:09 PM

You have a very wise son!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Damn woman; no one can say you didn't try,lol.

We're using WOWmath.org. A teacher uploaded youtube videos teaching Algabra 1, 2 and caulculus. He also has online chapter tests with answers. Those are nice so I know when to move her on to the next chapter.

Yeah, I'm not very good at math at all so we're learning this together. While not always a walk in the park, I can see improvment,lol. So I'm happy with that.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

With my daughter, math was good - not always fun, but tolerable. History was her nemesis. I finally stopped trying to make it fun (several hundred dollars later, trying different programs, and many gray hairs later for me - trying to make it "fun" by incorporating stupid crafts) and told her to suck it up.

Fun algebra? What are you using? If she has a tablet, Dragonbox is a fun supplement (it is NOT an entire course) - get the age 12+ one, not the one for younger kids (it's an app). If she likes to work on the computer, she would probably like Teaching Textbooks. Algebra requires a lot of patience on the teacher's end, which generally means you need to be proficient in it to teach it. It's one course that if I didn't study ahead and really, really, really get it before presenting it to my kiddo, I would outsource to an online program.

Quoting paganbaby:

Of course! ;-)

Quoting AutymsMommy:

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I do too... She got a diagnoses of ADD so she's thinking of putting him in a special ed class. I say what ever helps him.

Quoting debramommyof4:

My sister is like that. She then turns around and says I judge her, which I do not.

I hope her son finds another way to get what he needs. It is so hard watching a child struggle and not be able to do anything.

Quoting paganbaby:

I've tried! But she's just set on not hs. Idk, I may have put her off because I told her we don't have a set curriculum. But I told her there's many different ways to doing it.

Quoting debramommyof4:

Some one should let her know just how fun homeschool field trips are! But you can not change her mind she has to do that.

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Well, she is right and your son is right.  It's just that the two are in such different situations that they don't understand each other.  I was terrified to homeschool the boys.  I had hoped to homeschool when they were young but I was concerned about the crazy extended family and what they thought and all that crap.  Then I sent oldest to school and homework was a freaking nightmare!  There was crying (both of us), cussing (me, at night when I was alone), there was screaming (both of us).  And there was a lot of lost trust:  he lost trust in me because I was being mean and making him do things that were ...stupid.  Homework in the younger grades is often busywork to condition kids that they will be doing an hour or more of homework every night.  Getting them in that mindset so to speak.  It is not supposed to be fun, it is supposed to ready them for the bigger homework they will have later.  It also is supposed to serve to making the parent "see" what they are doing in school and give extra practice in those math lessons.  None of that is fun.  So she is right.  But she doesn't know what anything else might look like.

Now, my kids don't do any homework.  I have enough time to get enough practice in during the lesson because I am only teaching 1-3 kids (not 20+).  Also the kids get much more say in what they are learning, they have more stake in it, so even the stuff they may have thought of as boring when they were in PS, they have fun with because they have some skin in the game.  The teacher in PS cannot possibly give the type of control I do.  She has way too many kids that would want to go in way too many directions!  So your son is right.  He will learn more the first time around because you are able to follow his lead more and he has more invested in it! 

That's an awesome exchange. 

Oh absolutely! That sad thing is, he's doing terrible in school and desperately wants to homeschool. She stays at home but doesn't believe in homeschooling. She told him homeschooling isn't  fun because they don't have field trips.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN