Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Technology use/ tablets

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:45 PM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this
How do you feel about the use of technology in your homeschool? Do you stay away from iPads or other tablets or utilize them for certain activities? Wondering how you view the importance of teaching children to be tech savvy, but not get sucked into the screen time struggles. What age did you feel it was appropriate to introduce your kids?
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this

We use the computer and tablets but we keep a good mix going on. For actual game time, they can't play until after 4.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:41 PM
We use computers at the moment and I am thinking about getting tablets but I only let the kids use the computer for full time school only after they turn twelve. I don't want them on the computer that long when they are younger than twelve. Looking at the pixels of the screen can mess with your visual cortex.
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I use technology to help me plan and research, but do not allow my kids much screen time. None through the week, and very little on the weekend. We used to use the iPad for spelling and math, but I have found nothing works as well as one on one teaching and learning together.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jen2150
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:16 PM
We use a combination of different mediums. We don't have limits. My sons are learning computer science this year. Many games they love playing on the computer are the same things they enjoy doing off the computer. I talk to them about why having variety is important. Computers are a wonderful way to enciurage my sons interests. Spending hours and hours on the computer is how bill gates got where he is today. There are many benefits to using technology. They each have their own tablets.
kmath
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:34 PM

DS uses his computer daily.  He is learning typing this year and I will start him on more computer science stuff next year.  He plays math/logic games and does scootpad for extra practice.  He has to finish the rest of his school work before he can play on it though.  As long as he is off the computer at least as long as he is on the computer then I am fine with it.

PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Nov. 11, 2013 at 7:05 AM
1 mom liked this

I use my kindle for YouTube videos and documentaries for the kids.

They also look up definitions

Play games for math and LA

Research

And some of thier textbooks have online sites so they can take quizzes and tests. 

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 7:54 AM

We do not use tablets FOR school. I'm pretty diehard old school in that regard - we use books, textbooks, and paper.

However, we ARE a very tech savvy family. T works in computer science, so that's a given. We have several laptops, several tablets, etc. The children are allowed to use tablets in their free time (and/or laptops).

There is no real "set" age here. My middle son has been using tablets since he was around 1? My youngest is currently 1, but doesn't show any real interest in them. DD12 has been using them since they've been out (I don't recall them being readily available when she was a babe, lol).

ETA: we don't really limit screen time.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

MammaG08
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:08 AM

I have a kindle, and this is how I want to start using it for hs.  Do you have a fire?  Mine is just an HD; hoping that will work! 

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Research

And some of thier textbooks have online sites so they can take quizzes and tests. 

PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Yep, kindle fire. 

Down load history channel, discover channel and animal planet apps from the app store to see documentaries (as long has you have an internet connection) the apps are free.

When using YouTube, request mobile view as desktop view doesn't always let you use YouTube. 

Quoting MammaG08:

I have a kindle, and this is how I want to start using it for hs.  Do you have a fire?  Mine is just an HD; hoping that will work! 

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Research

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:18 PM

All of my children have had access to technologyas it has come into our home. Technology is not going any where matter of fact it is only getting to be more & more apart of everything, so restricting it will not help them in my oppinion it just might hurt them!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)