Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Technology use/ tablets

Posted by   + Show Post
How do you feel about the use of technology in your homeschool? Do you stay away from iPads or other tablets or utilize them for certain activities? Wondering how you view the importance of teaching children to be tech savvy, but not get sucked into the screen time struggles. What age did you feel it was appropriate to introduce your kids?
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:45 PM
Replies (11-14):
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Our children are allowed to use the computer during their free time (after all school work is done and always at least after lunch on those light schoolwork days). I do limit to 30 minutes per screen. However, my oldest saved up for a Kindle Fire HD for herself last year, and my middle child saved up for a tablet for himself too. My youngest doesn't have the motivation to buy her own tablet so that's fine - when she wants one, she can save for it. :) So what happens is one child will be on the laptop, another on a tablet, and another either on a tablet or video game or watching tv. I'll set the timer for 30 minutes, at which point they have to rotate screens (can't stay on the same type of screen). Depending on the day and weather, they may get only 90 min total screen time, OR if it's terribly rainy/cold/whatever or if we are sick, I'll let them play 2 or 3 hours, BUT I do make them take a break at some point and do non-screen stuff, like help me cook or we play a game together.

They don't play on any screens on Sundays.

My husband is a user interface designer for mobile applications, so yeah... screens are definitely a part of our lives!

suziejax
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 7:51 PM

my dd sometimes moblie does her science at monarch.com via hger ipod! It works!

TidewaterClan
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Our science classes are half physical workbook, and half online instruction.  I wanted one class that was a mix.  My girls use the pc to do research (along with library materials), play games, etc.  DH and I are both sw programmers.  Technology is important, and they enjoy it, but I want them to have solid foundations in writing & thinking without automatically booting something up if possible.  :)

MammaG08
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Cool. thanks!  I love that the apps are free.  :-)

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Yep, kindle fire. 

Down load history channel, discover channel and animal planet apps from the app store to see documentaries (as long has you have an internet connection) the apps are free.

When using YouTube, request mobile view as desktop view doesn't always let you use YouTube. 

Quoting MammaG08:

I have a kindle, and this is how I want to start using it for hs.  Do you have a fire?  Mine is just an HD; hoping that will work! 

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

I use my kindle for YouTube videos and documentaries for the kids.

They also look up definitions

Play games for math and LA

Research

And some of thier textbooks have online sites so they can take quizzes and tests. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN