Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I am not ready for today! EDIT

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 7:18 AM
  • 13 Replies

Do you ever have days when you just aren't prepared for the day of lessons? I've been having those on lots of Mondays. We have also been slacking on Fridays...so I end up having them finish Friday's work on Monday, while I write plans, then I have them each type their own lesson plans which gives them some typing practice.

I own three printers, two are out of ink and the third is not the best printer and it's kind of packed up. So I need to pull that out if I want to print anything. We do a lot of printed worksheets and stuff. And I'm sitting here typing on cafemom instead of getting to work. Today is Veteran's Day so maybe we will just talk about what that means, do a little math and some spelling, and then I will head to work. I also have to leave for work at 11, so I don't intend to get a whole bunch done anyway...but I will leave some reading for them to do this afternoon.

Please just reassure me that it's ok to do it like this. I kind of feel like it's going to be like this until after the holidays. Is that really ok?

ETA: Fridays are a half day! lol.  I keep it light, math and spelling and finish up whatever they need to from the rest of the week (usually some history reading or an art project).  Thanks for all the input though, I am not stressing over it-we don't have to show much at the end of the year so as long as they are learning I'm good with it.  I just don't want to slack so much that they think they never have to do anything lol.

by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 7:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 7:31 AM

That is the beauty of homeschooling.  Reading days are my favorite.  Find a comfy spot and just read together.  Maybe play an educational board game or make one up.  Have fun.  I am getting ready for co-op today.  It is going to be a fun but tiring day.  This whole week is going to be tiring but extremely fun.  

I am always prepared since I don't write out any lesson plans.  Sometimes though we just need a relaxing day.

PurpleCupcake
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Everybody has off days. 

Why don't you consider making Friday a permanent half day?

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 7:51 AM
1 mom liked this

That was my whole month of October. I'm trying to get myself more organized this month...I'm having a really hard time getting there tho! I just know for me, it needs to happen before the holidays, otherwise we'll get so far behind for the whole rest of the school year.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 7:51 AM

I tend to feel anxious about those days, but seem to have them a lot lately.  We're going to make pipe cleaner chameleons today, and my son wants to make scrolling books.  He also wants to practice pop up books.  My mantra right now is I WILL finish the weather unit....and the book report....  :)

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Yes, I've been there, lol. I think we all have at some point.

I agree with Purple about Fridays. If it makes you feel better, Autumn's brick and mortar is always half day on Fridays. When she was home, Friday was definitely our "light" day.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:49 AM

I agree with making Friday a permanent half day.  Ours are half day and we love it. 

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:51 AM
Oh! You just reminded me I need ink!
I'm not prepared today either, so we are going to costco this morning and then I will prep lessons during nap. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambcortez
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Sounds like you could use some coffee and a few minutes to yourself.

I'm only teaching 2nd and K, so it's basic material and I follow a teacher key since I'd probably go nuts. I usually write everything on a marker board the night before (different colors for different subjects) that way I've got what page numbers and which book, basics of the lesson, etc.  ready and can get started first thing.

Getting overwhelmed happens, especially now that the holidays are piling up. I'm giving us a week off the week of Thanksgiving and another one the week of Christmas. I'm looking forward to it.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:14 AM

It is perfectly fine to do it that way unless it's causing you guys stress.   

Maybe Friday should be different?   Some kind of free project day or something....  This way, on Monday you don't start out feeling behind.    Also, if you find you don't have much time over the weekends to pull out Monday, then either do it during their free stuff on Friday or start Monday out with the same thing all the time.. .stuff they do more independently.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:07 AM

This is a great idea.

Friday is already a "light" day.  But I like the idea of a free project day.  I was using it as a finish up day and so it was easy to say "oh you didn't finish your history reading, you can do it Friday."  But if they have a project they are looking forward to, they may be more likely to finish everything else during the rest of the week.

Quoting KrissyKC:

It is perfectly fine to do it that way unless it's causing you guys stress.   

Maybe Friday should be different?   Some kind of free project day or something....  This way, on Monday you don't start out feeling behind.    Also, if you find you don't have much time over the weekends to pull out Monday, then either do it during their free stuff on Friday or start Monday out with the same thing all the time.. .stuff they do more independently.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)