Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does a 3 year old need "socialization"?

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:49 AM
  • 28 Replies
I have a 3 year who has never been to day care or a preschool. I take him lots of places and he goes to homeschool meetups . I am noticing a big push from the outside world saying at 3 he needs to be away from home in a preschool to be socialized.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Just like a kid doesn't necessarily need to be away from home to be socialized, neither does a toddler.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Seriously?  That's silly.  It sounds to me like they are trying to make themselves feel supperior because of the choices they made in their lives to put their 3 yos into preschool.  Not just that they made diferent choices and both choices are okay, they have to have made the better choice.  No, 3yos can learn all of the social skills they need from the way their mommy deals with other people at the supermarket, bank, mall, church, wherever.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:27 AM
I second everything blueroof said!
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:48 AM
I've heard it from the speech therapist and his gymnastics coach. He doesn't like strangers touching him so he hated having the coach position him to tumble. The speech therapist is not the one who is going to be his regular one. She works with my older son and is supportive of hsing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:18 AM
I only have 2 that went to preschool at 3 out of four children.

My oldest went because we thought she missed other kids, she had been in daycare till 2 1/2, she can not read social cue's. We have had to teach her how to make friends.

My 2nd dd was and is shy and I worried about her so when she was 3 1/2 I sent her to head start and while she loved it she is still shy and that did nothing to change it.

My younger 2 have never been to preschool.

My 4 year old has always separated from me willingly and done well at any new church are place I have put him.

My current 3 year old however, has always been a mommy's girl and hates going anywhere without me. She is learning and when she decides to go she does very well socially.
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:27 AM

IMO, no.  My DD just turned 4 and she's finally at a stage where she will actually play with other kids.  Up until now, it's been side by side play. I take my kids to music class once a week and they really are just not interested in other kids and honestly, they just get frustrated with other kids. 

We do attend a few bday parties here and there and do a few get togethers but up until recently it just didn't matter.

I want my kids raised by me....not other kids.  It seems like all they would do is pick up bad habits if they were around other kids all the time. Not to mention getting sick.

Knock on wood, neither of my kids have ever taken an antibiotic...they're 4 and 21 months.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Yes, just not from a school setting. Take him to new places and new experiences. Once he is ready classes are a great add in. I started my boys going to the gym with me. They loved going and my friend was surprised they didn't have detachment issues. They knew I was coming back. I don't know where people get the idea that child development only works away from mom. I think the idea comes from the push to leave kids at younger and younger ages. It is good for Them so that is how they justify it.
ambcortez
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I was told the same thing when I decided to homeschool. My kids are just fine.

hwblyf
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I worked day care for many years.  I know that's different from a preschool environment, but I would not put my child in a preschool or daycare.  Turnover rates are quite high, the ratios are not necessarily what I would want, and the idea of socialization by being in the same environment with the same (but not your) kids constantly is a bit of a fallacy.  If they mean they should be able to handle outside classes and some separation from you, that's hard for a lot of kids into middle elementary.  It's easy for others.  That's not something the preschool situation is going to change.  Why stress your child just so another adult is satisfied?

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh no, not even! Three years old doesn't need to be away from mom for hours in order to socialize.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)