Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Does a 3 year old need "socialization"?

Posted by   + Show Post
I have a 3 year who has never been to day care or a preschool. I take him lots of places and he goes to homeschool meetups . I am noticing a big push from the outside world saying at 3 he needs to be away from home in a preschool to be socialized.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:49 AM
Replies (11-20):
usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:42 PM

This!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Seriously?  That's silly.  It sounds to me like they are trying to make themselves feel supperior because of the choices they made in their lives to put their 3 yos into preschool.  Not just that they made diferent choices and both choices are okay, they have to have made the better choice.  No, 3yos can learn all of the social skills they need from the way their mommy deals with other people at the supermarket, bank, mall, church, wherever.

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Socialization has nothing to do with being comfortable with others putting their hands on your body! You should be glad that he is uncomfortable with that & is willing to say something it will serve him well later in life to stand up for his personal space!

Quoting Bluecalm:

I've heard it from the speech therapist and his gymnastics coach. He doesn't like strangers touching him so he hated having the coach position him to tumble. The speech therapist is not the one who is going to be his regular one. She works with my older son and is supportive of hsing.

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:00 PM
I am glad he's cautious about strangers and being touched. The gymnastics coach, not so much. He was the only kid who wouldn't let her touch him.

Quoting usmom3:

Socialization has nothing to do with being comfortable with others putting their hands on your body! You should be glad that he is uncomfortable with that & is willing to say something it will serve him well later in life to stand up for his personal space!

Quoting Bluecalm:

I've heard it from the speech therapist and his gymnastics coach. He doesn't like strangers touching him so he hated having the coach position him to tumble. The speech therapist is not the one who is going to be his regular one. She works with my older son and is supportive of hsing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Maybe you should find a nice way of explaining to her that children should not be so comfortable being manhandled by anyone! That the ones that are have a much hire risk of becoming victims of sexual predators & that it dose not matter if she has ill intent or not, that dose not mean the next person wont! Children that are forced to accept being touched against their will loss the ability to hear there instinctual voice that tells them not to be comfortable with being touched against their will!

Quoting Bluecalm:

I am glad he's cautious about strangers and being touched. The gymnastics coach, not so much. He was the only kid who wouldn't let her touch him.

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting Bluecalm:

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:19 PM

He doesn't need to socialize in a preschool environment. Lol.

I do think he needs to be around age peers, yes, but that can be accomplished with playdates or activities.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 4:36 PM

This is awful. He had his speech and language evaluation today and when it was time to go he got mad and threw his stickers away. The speech therapist wouldn't let him have more and he pitched an unholy fit. They are going to bring in an OT to evaluate him too because the therapists are thinking he has some sensory issues. Anyway, as I was carrying him out he bit my hand hard enough to draw blood. An older lady who works there followed me out and was helping me put him into the car. She asked if he was in school and when I said no she started yelling at me and said he NEEDS to be in preschool, that is why he is having temper tantrums and biting me and if I don't send him to school he is going to grow up to beat me up. O.M.G.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Nope. They need to meet people and have a chance to play with other kids. That's it.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Is he a biter? Is he an old three or a new three? I would think that if he is a biter, putting him in to prek will just give him more people to bite. LOL

Quoting Bluecalm:

This is awful. He had his speech and language evaluation today and when it was time to go he got mad and threw his stickers away. The speech therapist wouldn't let him have more and he pitched an unholy fit. They are going to bring in an OT to evaluate him too because the therapists are thinking he has some sensory issues. Anyway, as I was carrying him out he bit my hand hard enough to draw blood. An older lady who works there followed me out and was helping me put him into the car. She asked if he was in school and when I said no she started yelling at me and said he NEEDS to be in preschool, that is why he is having temper tantrums and biting me and if I don't send him to school he is going to grow up to beat me up. O.M.G.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 5:09 PM

That is crazy.  He is obviously acting out because he is angry and while I would have made him calm down if he was mine (no speach, language or other disabilities), it sounds like that is harder to do with your son.  He may not be able to express himself well enough to figure out how to handle his anger.  That would not be addressed well in school.  They would just kick him out. 

Quoting Bluecalm:

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I occasionally question myself about this for my son(turning 4 in January) then we take a field trip to Sea World or the zoo and a I see some kiddos in a pack for a field trip or what have you and I realize he is much better off with me! We do zoo school classes where I go with him and we did camp sea world over the summer and honestly I think that's better. I wanted to put him in a tumbling class but after they turn 3 parents are no longer welcome and I decided that wasn't best for my kiddo. He is easily scared by loud or rambunctious kids and since he's an only he doesn't really understand how to defend himself or deflect a bully or another child that doesn't follow rules/have manners. These skills will come with time and age but expecting him to speak up for himself at age 3 is a little too much. I'm ok with him have limited interactions right now. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN