Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My son makes me feel stupid.

Posted by   + Show Post

So I give up teaching Cole Science. He makes me feel stupid and I don't think my pride can take this beating.
We are talking about how light affects color. How paint reflects the light colors that it doesn't absorb and that is the color that we see.
What does Cole take from this?
Cole:"So what color is my shirt in a room that's pitch black?"
Me: "Well, its gray, we just can't see it."
Cole: "Can you prove that my shirt is gray if you can't see it?"
Yeah, basically the light wave equivalent to, "If a tree falls in the woods, does it make a sound if no one can hear it?"
:facedesk
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:38 PM
Replies (11-17):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Very true! It can be very exhausting. What type of homeschooling do you use with her?

Quoting megbugsmom:

My 8yr old daughter is the same way. I have to chuckle to myself because I love it, but it is frustrating. She is also a know it all! Lol oh my! The dr. (Whom is a friend) mentioned putting my daughter on a debate team when older.
Children like that need that mental stimulation, and love a challenge. :)

Mandallyn
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 3:22 PM
Lol, that's great! What a smart kid. :)
mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Smart Aleck you mean! LOL

Quoting Mandallyn:

Lol, that's great! What a smart kid. :)

megbugsmom
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 5:22 PM
We use a very casual setting, I use Time 4 learning. Org
The best decision I ever made. They set up a easy to follow curriculum with printable worksheets, a detailed report to view and print. They will set up a schedule for you to follow. It's all for 20.00 a month and sooo worth it.
You can do a free trial to try it out.
:)

Quoting mem82:

Very true! It can be very exhausting. What type of homeschooling do you use with her?

Quoting megbugsmom:

My 8yr old daughter is the same way. I have to chuckle to myself because I love it, but it is frustrating. She is also a know it all! Lol oh my! The dr. (Whom is a friend) mentioned putting my daughter on a debate team when older.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Haa haa haaa haaa.... Love it!

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 6:12 PM

eh... time4learning is useful... sometimes.    It's not enough for us... when we got to the upper levels, my kids got bored with just reading science and social studies topics on the computer, and they would hit the skip and done buttons without having read it.   Then they'd bomb the assessments.

Plus, they were assessed too quickly from one topic to the next and it was more like just busy work for them.   Nothing built on anything else, it just was flat information.    They didn't retain the techniques and in the upper maths, my daughter often had to google what they were teaching.   She is a math whiz, she just wasn't either paying attention enough or IDK...      

However, as I said, it was useful our first year we yanked my daughter out of public school with little forethought on where to start.    Then it was useful again during a year full of personal chaos, although we supplemented, it was a helpful guide.   It's now useful with my kindergartener, but after almost two months, she's bored with it and some days she does it and some days she doesn't.   She does actual table work briefly, movement "play" learning, and then T4L.

I'm curious to see what your opinion of T4L is after another couple years of using it.   One mom I know, that is all she used for her daughter and she was happy with it.   I wasn't, though.

Quoting megbugsmom:

We use a very casual setting, I use Time 4 learning. Org
The best decision I ever made. They set up a easy to follow curriculum with printable worksheets, a detailed report to view and print. They will set up a schedule for you to follow. It's all for 20.00 a month and sooo worth it.
You can do a free trial to try it out.
:)

Quoting mem82:

Quoting megbugsmom:

craftyzenmom
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 6:58 PM

I feel your pain...my 13 yr. old twin boys compete in Science Olympiad and every year we get new events. They run circles around me with thermodynamics, physics, electricity....This year one is doing Road Scholar and we just finished find stuff like azimuths and latitude/longitude on a USGS map, mom did not do so well! I was a Liberal Studies major NOT a hard sciences person. Thank The Lord for Google and Wikipedia! I've decided at this point I'm "facilitating" their learning journey and getting them the resources they need to succeed. I REALLY don't want to know more about the laws of thermodynamics....I'm good!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN