Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Everyone is against me...selfish build me up post...

This is my first year homeschooling and my DS is in grade 3...EVERYONE seems to be against me using the same BS(IMHO) excuse "Kids need to be with other kids" or "You need the break" But I am loving the homeschooling, Okay since I had a VERY bad reaction to a new med the doctor put me on we are a bit behind where we should be, but we are going to catch up...

I have him in a PE class with other HS kids, I am a youth leader in my church so he hangs around those teens for a couple hours on wednesday, have friends in the neighbourhood so he isnt lacking there.

My mom is being crazy and decided to cancel Christmas unless I put him back in "normal, proper school" in January. 

I just feel beat down...and now my son is saying he wants back just because everyone is always asking him 'dont you miss your friends, wow you arent going to get that many gifts at your birthday" and so on...

So this is my shamless or is it shamefull??? ((anyways)) Post for some encouragment...

Yes there might be spelling and grammar issues I am exhusted and feeling so discouraged right now to proofread.

by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 1:32 AM
Replies (11-20):
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Nov. 12, 2013 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting AutymsMommy:

Bake them some brownies (and put ex-lax in them).

Sorry.

ROTFLOL!!!!!
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Think about other things you have done in your life that were "against the grain" yet worked out just fine...or even better than mainstream. 

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 2:00 PM

I would go the other extreme and send them article and story after story you read about positive things with homeschooling or negative things about public schooling.  Eventually, they'll get sick of it and then you can just call it even.

Precious333
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 2:08 PM
Hugs mama! I wouldnt give into any sort of manipulation.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 2:16 PM
6 moms liked this

My biggest issue is this... your mother is cancelling Christmas to try to force your hand into making a decision she wants.

That really bothers me.   You need to tell your mom that her controlling behavior is unacceptable and your family will not be cancelling Christmas, so you will miss her over the holidays.    Then walk away!

My other suggestion is to put space between you and other people, directly tell them that their constant nagging and such is irritating and let them know what they need to do with their unwanted advice.   If they don't stop, you will have to set some boundaries by putting space between you and your family.

Start making friends elsewhere that are supportive and please do NOT give your family ANY info.  Stop the info train entirely.   Don't tell them anything and don't give them updates.   When they start discussing negative stuff with you and your son, leave.

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 12, 2013 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like your Mother has forgotten that you are an adult & is still trying to punish you to get you to conform to her ways of doing things! I would tell her that she no longer has that kind of power over you & if she dose not want to support you then you won't be spending much time with her because you need a  supportive family!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 3:25 PM
2 moms liked this

This!!  You are a grown butt woman with a family of your own, she cannot cancel YOUR Christmas, she can only miss her grandchildren during the holiday season.  I would remind her of that.

Hugs!  You can give your child a wonderful education, and the family needs to step back and let that happen or you will need to step away and let them miss you.  Sorry it boils down to that.

Quoting usmom3:

Sounds like your Mother has forgotten that you are an adult & is still trying to punish you to get you to conform to her ways of doing things! I would tell her that she no longer has that kind of power over you & if she dose not want to support you then you won't be spending much time with her because you need a  supportive family!

ambcortez
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this

That's very shameful that you aren't getting enough support. My first year of homeschooling didn't have support, either, but I love teaching and they're happy at home. It was challenging the first year. We got so far behind, but managed to catch up. If you love it and your kids are learning and are happy, that's all that matters. If your mom wants to cancel Christmas, let her. You can make your own Christmas. I talked with DS and DD about the pros and cons of homeschooling. DS had been to K, but I pulled him out because of bullying. They can make friends at church or sports, or your friends' kids. Stay strong.

coala
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I would inform your son that you are making decisions that are going to benefit him as he grows up.  For you mom....you need to tell her to STFU.  She doesn't get to make the choices for how you raise your son.  If he misses a Christmas from her....then he will realize that she is being petty.  I wouldn't even let him in on that little bit of info because it is going to cause more doubt than he already has.  Keep your chin up.  I had a TON of naysayers that are totally on board now.  My kids don't need to be around children of the same age...day in and day out and not be able to talk to them at all.  They now have a group of friends that is super diverse and get to hang with them a few times a week.  My children are able to get along with people of ALL ages because of the choices we have made for them.

sbutcher3
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 8:21 AM
Its a hard road and easy to discouraged. try joining ur local hs co op....its been wonderful for my fam. the other hs moms r such supporters and give great advice.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)