Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Everyone is against me...selfish build me up post...

This is my first year homeschooling and my DS is in grade 3...EVERYONE seems to be against me using the same BS(IMHO) excuse "Kids need to be with other kids" or "You need the break" But I am loving the homeschooling, Okay since I had a VERY bad reaction to a new med the doctor put me on we are a bit behind where we should be, but we are going to catch up...

I have him in a PE class with other HS kids, I am a youth leader in my church so he hangs around those teens for a couple hours on wednesday, have friends in the neighbourhood so he isnt lacking there.

My mom is being crazy and decided to cancel Christmas unless I put him back in "normal, proper school" in January. 

I just feel beat down...and now my son is saying he wants back just because everyone is always asking him 'dont you miss your friends, wow you arent going to get that many gifts at your birthday" and so on...

So this is my shamless or is it shamefull??? ((anyways)) Post for some encouragment...

Yes there might be spelling and grammar issues I am exhusted and feeling so discouraged right now to proofread.

by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 1:32 AM
Replies (21-26):
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:45 AM
I understand how you are feeling. My choice to homeschool wasn't exactly met with open arms from some people in my husbands and Is individual families. On my husbands side; his father is absolutely against it. However, he has never really said why. Oddly enough he hardly mentions that he is against it but he has. I just kind of shrug it off. I tell him that he has a right to dislike the idea but the children are mine and as their mother; I get to choose what I believe is best for them. My FIL is mild compared to my husbands aunt. She really hurt my feelings. We've nevered really meshed on views and opinions but we have always been civil and I really thought she liked me. In Aug, my husband and I went to visit her before we moved to Alaska. While at her house; she decided to berate me. I'm not sure what brought it on as I try not to voice my opinions around her. When we first arrived; she was apparently saying that I have a lot of opinions and most of them are wrong. I didn't hear this; my husband told me about it. The next day as I was trying to help her prepare some potatoes for baking; she decides to go off on me. She basically tells me that I am unfriendly, ignorant to he world, and that my children need to be around other opinions than just my own because I have a lot of opinions and most of them are wrong. She then tells me that I can't be sure that I'm schooling them right and that since I decided that I didn't want to be in homeschool group any longer; that my children weren't getting any socialization. She of course voiced this a lot meaner than I am. I'm basically paraphrasing. It really hurt my feelings tho. I came from a really ad background and I'm choosing to homeschool for many reasons. One of these reasons is to protect my kids from low selfesteem and being treated badly by teachers and peers. When I was a child; I had an abusive home life and then I was sent to school where the kids mistreated me along with the teachers. I hated school. I hated being home. I hated me. I've come along way and I've managed to turn out great inspite of my crappy upbringing so for her to essentially say that I am ruining my kids really hurt. I eventually told her that I am strong in the decisions I make for my kids and I believe that I am doing the right thing by them. I also informed her that not all socialization is good socialization and that my kids are around other kids but I get to monitor it more. I also gave way to a quick evaluation of my character with her or at her should I say. I explained to her that I came from basically a white trash family. Most of them were and are still on drugs. I didn't have my father present in my life nor did I have many positive role models. However through determination and good choices; I turned out fine. I am an exception to the rule when it comes to bad homes and bad childhoods, so if I can do wonders for myself as only a child think of what I can do for my kids. She shut up and then my husband and I left for the day. We went back to her house that night because of a get together that we were supposed to attend. After that we went to Niagara Falls and then we left. We have mutually decided that we will not be visiting her again. I don't have to stand there and be put down. I am a good mother and I am doing what is best for my children.
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 11:30 AM
When family tries that nonsense with me, I point out half the stuff they want us to do we would not have the ability to drop everything and do because the kids would have to be picked up, dropped off, or doing homework that has to be turned in the next day.
celticdragon77
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:13 PM
3 moms liked this

Your mom is going to cancel Christmas over your decision to homeschool your kids?! That is the most ridiculious thing I ever heard and I really hope you don't cave to anyone who thinks like that.

Sorry, I just don't know that I have any advice. I dont have family beyond the kids dad side - but I can't imagine myself allow people to have that kind of power in my parenting decisions. 

You have my sympathys though for having to deal with this...

kmath
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:38 PM
3 moms liked this

Yeah, your mom is a crackpot.  Sorry, but anyone who would try to punish kids for something someone else decided for them is full of crazy.  Tell her she can cancel her Christmas all she wants, you and the kids will miss her.  Don't let her try to force your hand on this.  It is YOUR decision, not hers.  You can do this if it is what is best for your family!  Hugs mama!  You can always come here to vent or get support.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I like the brownie idea *Evil grin*

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I wish we could go on more field trips. Sadly dh works on the weekends, I babysit during the week and we only have one car :-(

Quoting Dorra:

So pretty much grandma has an invalid point about less bday gifts. It's not like he'd invite the entire class anyways.

Just keep your head up and don't let anyone else get to you.

I explained to my dds the advantages and disadvantages of public and home school. I let them decide and they still picked homeschool.
Public= more friends but you have to sit all day long. Lol
Homeschool= field trips whenever we want. Not as many friends but closer friends.
Just different stuff.

It WILL get better.

Quoting Connorsmommy13:

Quoting Dorra:

I told everyone, family included that if they couldn't support our decision to please stay out of our lives. It took almost 2 years for them to get over themselves and accept us homeschooling.

I'm sorry that your family cannot see the benefits of this. It takes time for others to come around.

Does he still play with his friends from public school?

Yes I we still keep in contact with them too...

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN